Geoffrey Hughes by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
Just read the news that Geoffrey Hughes has died at just 68 years old :(

A very funny man and his character Onslow is one upon whom I might have modelled myself :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 22:48 #1 

kandyman
Sorry I had to look him up to see who he was,

I remember him as Eddie Yates in Coronation Street.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343516846.994065.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 23:10 #2 

Ragman
Indeed a sad loss - talented man

Posted 29 Jul 2012, 00:03 #3 

Chartermark
Also David Barby from Antiques Roadshow et al, aged 63. Died at his Rugby home Wednesday after a stroke last Saturday. Very sad to lose two people who entertained and amused in such different ways, so close together.

Its always later than we think...

Posted 29 Jul 2012, 02:34 #4 

zojosc
Gawd this is a cheery thread for first thing on a Sunday morning........keep safe everyone!
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 29 Jul 2012, 07:23 #5 

Dave
Here's a weird thing - I'd only spoken to Gill about him earlier in the day, when I was telling her about an article I'd seen in a Reader's Digest that I'd recently had off my mum, which mentioned him and his wife doing "eco" things on their (IIRC) Isle of Wight home...

Spooky

Posted 29 Jul 2012, 09:32 #6 

Chartermark
raistlin wrote:Just read the news that Geoffrey Hughes has died at just 68 years old :(

A very funny man and his character Onslow is one upon whom I might have modelled myself :lol:

I'd love to have seen the reaction to the be-vested appearance on the bench's - as your lordship pleases...

Posted 29 Jul 2012, 11:17 #7 

Tourerfogey
Am I the omly one to find this really scarey and quite sobering? OK so he's a few years older than me but essentially still of 'my generation' - and so many people who fall into that category have died over recent years . . .

Posted 29 Jul 2012, 12:37 #8 

Chartermark
Tourerfogey wrote:Am I the omly one to find this really scarey and quite sobering? OK so he's a few years older than me but essentially still of 'my generation' - and so many people who fall into that category have died over recent years . . .

I completely concur with your observation. I first started out in life as a 'Trainee Actuary' with a large insurance group, essentially a bookie compiling odds on living or dying - known affectionately in the trade as 'mortal curves'. Upon such data are Annuities and Life policies determined.

I became depressed after a year sitting in an eyrie, on the top of an old brownstone block in the city, with 3, it seemed old boys, all over 50 pondering how many per 1,000 capita were going to die from Amyloidosis following a visit to Southend Kursall without a hat on.

So I sought fresh pastures to earn a 'living', but the sobering experience of toting death has always been a statistical fascination. I now find myself looking back more and more on late friends & family, my age (or younger), with a shiver. I sometimes feel like a 38 knot destroyer, powering between huge columns of water as near misses from 16" shells occur all around me.

From those early days of research I do recall that genes, lifestyle and in particular childhood nutrition played a large part in longevity. Actors and entertainers were considered 'high risk', due to the inconsistency of their life pattern and mental stress as a corollary. Sir(s) John Mills and Gielgud, George Burns etc, were all abreast of 100, but generally and following Vilfredo Pareto's 80/20 rule, they are notable exceptions. 'Onslow' made the average (67.9 years) for his generation and occupation.

Presently in the UK only 2% make three figures, 22 per cent of men in England and Wales die before the age of 65 (compared to 13 per cent of women); and 42 per cent die before 75 (compared to 26 per cent of women). Average life expectancy is 80.4, 78 for men and 82 for women.

And a happy Xmas to all our readers...

Posted 29 Jul 2012, 16:18 #9