Fuel Cooler Connector Corrosion by Arctic

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi
A little while back when i was doing my rear springs and i was under the car i noticed this connector had corroded pic 1 and broken away it might be worth checking yours out if you have time i rejoined it with a scotch lock connector as below. Also sometimes these can leak so i am informed, also worth checking at the same time.

Note the connector on the right by the brake sensor which had also be tucked up there for some reason not now though.
Image1

Image2

Broken connector note allen key bolt.
Image3

Connector just placed close to show where it belongs.
Image4

Old end chopped off and new connector fitted.
Image5

Image6

All finished note in some of the pics how the fins have got bent from road debris i presume ? you need to check for leaks were the welded pipe fit into the little radiator in two places front and back. Also make sure the rubber pipes are secure.
Image7
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 07 May 2011, 21:24 #1 

Duncan
Not sure why this needs to be grounded, to be honest. You can see the dissimmilar metals caused corrosion though. But I suppose it was there for a reason so it must be worth repairing.

Personally, I'm not a fan of scotchlocks, a splice covered with glue lined heatshrink is waterproof whereas a scotchlock isn't.

A good tip for people to check and repair!

Posted 07 May 2011, 21:33 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Duncan.
Good idea now i will have to change it :roll: you have found me something else to do :lol:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 07 May 2011, 21:53 #3 

ned1
I noticed this the other week when I tried to find out where the brake sensor cable for the rear brakes actually was.

don't ask me why its slapped with copper slip, I had some nearby and thought...ahhh rust...sod it and slap it on....DONT LAUGH FELLAS. lol

Looks like I best get it sorted eh

The road to success is always under construction.

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 23:04 #4 

Last edited by ned1 on 04 Dec 2011, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

ned1
resized it smaller in photobucket but hasn't worked here??? sorry
The road to success is always under construction.

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 23:05 #5 

bertie
Arctic,
You're posts are brilliant because you chuck in so many top class pictures. I have followed many of your how to's.
BTW thanks for the pressure cap seals e-bay link, was just about to buy new cap and saved myself a few quid.
Cheers,
Rob.

Posted 06 Dec 2011, 08:49 #6 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Rob
Glad i can be of help and the thanks is most appreciated cheers Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 01:49 #7 

Bermudan 75
I have a leak from my fuel cooler. Where can I get a length of replacement hose? and is this a MOT failure?

Cheers

Mike

Posted 04 Mar 2016, 19:38 #8 

Arctic
(Trader)
Rover418275 wrote:I have a leak from my fuel cooler. Where can I get a length of replacement hose? and is this a MOT failure?

Cheers

Mike

HI Mike.
Any good motors factors should sell this type of hose you will also need some new jubilee clips, good luck Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 05 Mar 2016, 08:38 #9 

Bermudan 75
Thanks Steve, as the hose only leaks under pressure it might go un-noticed at the MoT.

Mike

Posted 05 Mar 2016, 12:47 #10 

Bermudan 75
Does anyone know how you undo the clamps on the fuel lines in the above pictures?

I have found where my leak is coming from and need to replace the uppermost righthand hose.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 16 Mar 2016, 19:17 #11 

Arctic
(Trader)
Rover418275 wrote:Does anyone know how you undo the clamps on the fuel lines in the above pictures?

I have found where my leak is coming from and need to replace the uppermost righthand hose.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike.
You insert a screwdriver into the crimps and twist replace with normal jubilee clip, size 15-20mm for fuel hoses good luck Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 16 Mar 2016, 20:28 #12