Fans - Aaargh! by Mad-Monkey

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Mad-Monkey
I have 6 38mm fans running in my PSU and it sounds like a 747! Any ideas on something quieter to replace them with. They need to be 3pin fans, 40mm might just fit but they only shift about 5cfm. The oem ones are shifting 10.6cfm.

Any suggestions?? I have an acoustic rack case to be ordered but I don't think that will make a significant difference.

Posted 18 Jul 2010, 22:12 #1 

Duncan
The only thing that seems to work is to slow them down. Yes it reduces the airflow but the noise too. You can get little plug in speed controllers.

Saying that, if they are three pin fans then are they controoled by the M/B? Maybe there's a smart fan option in the BIOS?

Posted 19 Jul 2010, 17:35 #2 

raistlin
David, something which made an incredible amount of difference to the noise of the fan in my NAS was fitting it with rubber mounts instead of nuts and bolts.

I was quite taken aback at the difference in noise level. So much so that I bought some more and re-mounted every fan in my main PC :)

If you haven't given consideration to that but would like to, I have some spares which you could have. Not enough to do the whole job but certainly you could do a back-to-back test with them fitted to one fan perhaps.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 19 Jul 2010, 19:14 #3 

Mad-Monkey
The PSU is really compact, there is very little space in there, so speed controllers are not an option unfortunately. I have some rubber mounts thanks Paul, but again they dont fit due to the size of the PSU. It is tight!!

Just wondered if halving the airflow would be detrimental to the PSU. I posted on a couple of PC related forums and the concensus was, well, earplugs are an option...! lol

Posted 19 Jul 2010, 20:15 #4 

raistlin
Monk wrote:. I have some rubber mounts thanks Paul, but again they dont fit due to the size of the PSU. It is tight!

SO was the fan installation on my NAS David but the rubber mounts are the same size as a bolt so they fit without problem.
Paul

Posted 19 Jul 2010, 20:20 #5 

Mad-Monkey
raistlin wrote:
Monk wrote:. I have some rubber mounts thanks Paul, but again they dont fit due to the size of the PSU. It is tight!

SO was the fan installation on my NAS David but the rubber mounts are the same size as a bolt so they fit without problem.

I have a couple, I'll give it a whirl. The fitting is odd, they slide in then are screwed through the case into the fan. Nothing like a good puzzle!

Posted 19 Jul 2010, 20:41 #6 

Mad-Monkey
This has some hefty claims at 95% noise reduction!!

http://www.rackcabinets.co.uk/o-852-aco ... stic-rack/

Posted 19 Jul 2010, 21:11 #7 

raistlin
Monk wrote:
raistlin wrote:

I have a couple, I'll give it a whirl. The fitting is odd, they slide in then are screwed through the case into the fan. Nothing like a good puzzle!

The ones I have do not screw at all David. They pull into place because they are stretchy rubber, the ends are then cut off if required. They have a small lip which completely acoustically de-couples the fan framework from the chassis framework.
Paul

Posted 19 Jul 2010, 21:20 #8 

Mad-Monkey
raistlin wrote:
Monk wrote:
raistlin wrote:

The ones I have do not screw at all David. They pull into place because they are stretchy rubber, the ends are then cut off if required. They have a small lip which completely acoustically de-couples the fan framework from the chassis framework.

Sorry Paul I was on about the original fitting. They sound like the same fittings I have spare. I put some on the 80mm fans and they are near slient, well I think they are. They're drowned out at the moment :mrgreen:

Posted 19 Jul 2010, 21:22 #9 

raistlin
OK David. Well, as usual, they're there if you want them. :) In any event - best of luck :)
Paul

Posted 19 Jul 2010, 21:29 #10