failure to turn over......sometimes by takestock

• Related topics: (no related topics)

takestock
2.5 auto, had this for a while now, what do you think ?

Sometimes fails to turn over, no flashing lights just the click. Now I'm no newbie to these symptoms but..........

Sometimes the starter motor turns but before the car fires the starter motor just stops. When the starter does turn it is no slouch. :confused:

Battery was replaced just over a year ago, alternator changed around 3 months ago. ( only because the new one was shiny :em: ) first time the car did this was around 6 months ago. i was advised to clean the battery terminals as a first point of call.

I did repair the solenoid on the starter some 18 months ago so i have ordered the solenoid repair kit.

Trouble is, I have seen many a solenoid fail but never one that will make contact, start to rotate the starter, then stop :confused:

So the repair kit will be fitted when it arrives, are there any other relays etc that can fail?
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 28 Oct 2010, 18:45 #1 

Duncan
There's a relay inside the EWS (Engine immobiliser (EWS from the German, Elektronik WegfahrSicherung)) immobiliser. I have had to replace a failed one in Roving Dennis's car.

It could also be the switch in the ignition swtch, but you wouldn't get a click if it was that.

Is the click a big one from under the bonnet, or just a small one from down by the bonnet release?

Posted 29 Oct 2010, 13:14 #2 

James.uk
Might be the teeth on the starter sprocket getting worn or possibly a tooth has broken Dave... :(

Posted 29 Oct 2010, 13:20 #3 

takestock
Ok, just tried to start car, click......pretty sure it was from under bonnet, so to make sure....
Turned key back to position one as you have to do to try again, forward to position two, wound window down and lifted bonnet.
Stood at side of car with head under bonnet and reach into car to turn key............................................................
Started 20 times out of 20 :( :) I will fit the starter kit when it arrives and report back.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 29 Oct 2010, 13:59 #4 

Duncan
It does sound like the contacts on the solenoid are a bit dodgy. So difficult to prove / test while it's so intermittent.

Posted 29 Oct 2010, 16:22 #5 

takestock
Quick strip out of the starter and solenoid revealed that the plunger and contact washers had indeed come to the end of their life :( (the solenoid kit from ebay is perfect for our needs).

Whole job done, remove battery, remove starter, strip and replace the parts in the solenoid and rebuilt in under an hour, job sorted.

Thanks for the input gents
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 03 Nov 2010, 14:30 #6 

Last edited by takestock on 04 Nov 2010, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDotCom
Glad your all sorted without great expense Dave.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 03 Nov 2010, 22:52 #7