Domain names by Dave

Dave
I still belong to an online forum for the cars I had before my 75.

TBH, the forum has had more than it;s fair share of issues over the years and is barely limping along. Been unable to log on for three days now and it turns out that the payment for the domain name has expired, nobody knows who registered it and the domain company (Easy-Space) won't do anything to help unless the owner's found

Not sure why they can't take the money to keep it going? It would still belong to whoever registered it (but then I guess that person might be deliberately keeping quiet in the hope of killing the place off?)

Anyone got any knowledge of such issues?

Posted 22 Sep 2010, 18:18 #1 

SpongeBob
After so many days of a domain expiring the domain name then becomes available for purchase by another party. Once someone else takes ownership of it then payment can be confirmed and once more the DNS records for the domain can be updated to point towards the server where the website is actually stored/hosted.

Posted 22 Sep 2010, 18:36 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Have you tried http://www.domaincheck.co.uk/ enter the domain name and it should come back with the full registration details. This is straight from nominet whois database, not sure whether it relies on the domain still being hosted and whether it has run out, the registrant if not a business can opt to have their address withheld. Worth try if you haven't already gone down this route. Reply includes:-

Domain name

Registrant

Registrant type

Registrant's address

Registrar

Relevant dates

Registration status

Name servers

Posted 22 Sep 2010, 23:12 #3 

Dave
Thanks for the sage advice!

As it turns out the registrant did withhold their name - but not their address! :confused:

This person was a "disgraced" ex-Chairman that tried to kill the place before he was kicked out. Luckily, some work has gone on behind the scenes and the current webmaster has been able to take control

Can't see the site ever getting busy again mind..... :-|

Posted 23 Sep 2010, 08:41 #4