diesel fuel cooler leak by chris143nbt

chris143nbt
hi,
anyone know what black thing is that's attached to the diesel cooler, the one with 3 pipes going to it, as mine is leaking and no-one at my local garage can tell me what it is or what is does.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 31 Jan 2014, 20:52 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
As far as I can make out from the drawing this is not a separate part, it is integral to the cooler. It is not listed as such either. It's precise function eludes me. Someone else may know better but, that's the best I can do. It may be worth contacting Rimmer Bros and asking them to confirm; you should be able to point them at this topic and your pic. They will be very helpful.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001963

Posted 02 Feb 2014, 01:29 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
chris143nbt wrote:hi,
anyone know what black thing is that's attached to the diesel cooler, the one with 3 pipes going to it, as mine is leaking and no-one at my local garage can tell me what it is or what is does.

Hi Chris
I think you may find it is a little pump which helps the fuel sent through the matrix before going back into the tank, photo looks familiar ;) I can tell by the green lead I added, sometime the pipes can leak so I would check all of those by cleaning round them taking them of clean the connectors and replace to see if that helps cheers Arctic

fuel-cooler-connector-corrosion-t3474.html?hilit=fuel%20cooler#p41601
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 02 Feb 2014, 01:58 #3 

Duncan
I don't think it's a pump. There's only one wire, and its connected to the metal, so I think it's only a ground wire.

It's more likely to be a thermostat so the fuel only gets cooled when needed. Otherwise you could get so much cooling that it could cause waxing in winter.

EDIT:
yes, its a thermostat that only allows fuel through the cooler when the fuel is hotter than 73C. It has a bimetallic strip in it to do this.

Posted 02 Feb 2014, 09:58 #4 

chris143nbt
hi,
thanks to all for replying to my question, and yes your right Artic, i saw the photo and thought , that's it, certainly saved me lying down again in the rain taking a photo, thanks for the photo. i have checked Rimmer Bros and it's not listed as a separate item, ah well it's of to the breakers tomorrow see if i can get a unit. anyone else had a leak in this part.

Posted 02 Feb 2014, 14:26 #5 

chris143nbt
hi,
forgot in my last message, thanks to Duncan for answering my question, it's nice to know what the parts are and what they do, rather than just change them withiut knowing. least i know more than the mechanics at my local garage. rovers are a special breed by the seems of it.

Posted 02 Feb 2014, 16:04 #6 

Arctic
(Trader)
Duncan wrote:I don't think it's a pump. There's only one wire, and its connected to the metal, so I think it's only a ground wire.

It's more likely to be a thermostat so the fuel only gets cooled when needed. Otherwise you could get so much cooling that it could cause waxing in winter.

EDIT:
yes, its a thermostat that only allows fuel through the cooler when the fuel is hotter than 73C. It has a bimetallic strip in it to do this.

Hi Duncan
Thank you something learnt again :hail: so could it leak then, or is it the ends of the hoses which I have heard of leaking Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 02 Feb 2014, 19:58 #7 

chris143nbt
hi all,
well iv'e managed to have a good look under rear of car and its deffo leaking from the thermostat iv'e checked all the pipes and they seem ok.

Posted 02 Feb 2014, 20:40 #8 

maverickandy
HI, my rover 75 I just bought had the same problem, this so called thermostat leaking in several places. car was very down on power, turbo lag, struggling uphill etc, a right plodder. EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve)/MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) cleaned/changed cheap chip fitted and still boring drive, even stalling on pull away. SO I just bought complete diesel fuel cooler unit secondhand,that is attached to side of tank , easy to get to. cut off rivet holding this thermostat? pump? plastic part 2 pipes in 1 to rad to assembly,disconnected pipes straight swap, undo13mm bolt cut rivet then 15 minute job. Suddenly the car is like a new car, no turbo lag, pulls well in all gears , a joy to drive. Do not why but it worked, blocked? seized? so add to list of causes for poor performance.

Posted 03 Nov 2016, 13:09 #9 

maverickandy
chris143nbt wrote:hi,
hi, I know it is to late for you but this part is some sort of thermastic valve, which blocks/seizes then leaks. More importantly it sort of constipates the fuel system and often causes loss of power, turbo lag/not work etc.You cannot buy new replacement only complete radiator etc assembly for a ridiculous 400+vat. so buy secondhand assembly and remove thermal unit.one aluminium rivet, plus 3pipes, clips re-usable. so ready to swap. 15 minute job if jacked up..then you have pipes/rad for spares. you will be amazed at power difference.

Posted 05 Nov 2016, 22:48 #10