Cruise & Traction retrofit. by JakeWilson

JakeWilson
Evening all,

Am looking at what else we can do to the 190 whilst we're waiting for the coolant pipes to arrive.

Hi-line is in, rear blind going in tomorrow morning, if we can get some donors then the elec/heat seats will be going in too.

In a moment of being silly (Before you say Dave - yes only a moment! :lol: ) I put in a cruise and traction switch in the panel under the ATC (Automatic Temperature Control). Both Dad and I decided that looked good - so could we put the rest of the gubbins in?

Does anyone know if cruise and traction are retro-fittable? I've noticed next to the throttle body on the car there is a connection doing nothing if that means anything? Also, what parts would be needed to do it?

Thank you in advance,

Jake

Posted 22 Apr 2011, 21:56 #1 

Bermudan 75
Evening Jake,

Re Cruise control

There is a 'How to' in the technical section that can be downloaded.

Not sure about Traction Control.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 22 Apr 2011, 22:27 #2 

RRobson
just in case you ever get round to fitting either, ive got a throttle body with both the cruise and traction control system installed if you cant find one. dont know what youd need to install either however...
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 22 Apr 2011, 23:16 #3 

JakeWilson
RRobson wrote:just in case you ever get round to fitting either, ive got a throttle body with both the cruise and traction control system installed if you cant find one. dont know what youd need to install either however...

Cheers mate, what figure had you got in mind? If I can get a list of what is needed - the car that throttle body is off isn't around still is it?

P.S. Could collect as I'll be in Pontefract on Sunday!?

Cheers!

Jake

Posted 22 Apr 2011, 23:34 #4 

Duncan
Cruise is fairly easy if the wiring is in place. The connector by the throttle body is for traction, not cruise.

Cruise has a pump / valve assembly on the right hand chassis rail, and a vacuum pipe runs up to the throttle area to a mechanical actuator.

You will need to swap the brake switch for a dual pole version, and add the clutch switch. Probably the fiddliest part of the retrofit.
There have been a couple of reports of it not working after fitment, presumed something to do with ZCS coding. But mine and a few others have worked straight off. Can't see any pattern, and I still wonder if those that didn't work were pedal switch problems.

Traction is a whole different kettle of fish. For a start, you will need a new ABS (Antilock Braking System) modulator that supports traction. You may be able to swap just the ECU (Engine Control Unit) part, but othwerwise it is major aggro. It may also require som ZCS fiddling which is risky, and therefore hard to get done.

Posted 23 Apr 2011, 07:25 #5 

RRobson
if duncans just put you off, then it doesnt matter :D, but you can have it for £20
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 23 Apr 2011, 08:14 #6 

JakeWilson
Cheers Both,

Ducan - where can I look to see if my car has the wiring for cruise and Do you know what other components I need? I've taken a few pictures of some connections that I'm not sure what they are, will try and get them up but the forum's not liking the size of them or something?!

Reece, I'll still have it off you if that's ok? :D

Jake

Posted 23 Apr 2011, 09:05 #7 

Duncan
A few places to look for cruise wiring.

1. The ECU, which would live under the glovebox. 2 spare connectors for the cruise ECU and cruise interface. Just to the right of the fusebok.

2. The vacuum pump / valve. Not sure exactly where the connector would be tucked away, but comes from the same sort of place as the ABS wire and the pad wear wire on the right hand front just by the suspension top. four way (I think) with a rubber boot on it. Seem to remember most wires were brown.

3. The cruise switch itself.

If the wires are there in one place, probably there in all. Was a right pain on my Cowley V6 as the wiring wasn't there at all. You can add it, but it gets as extreme as having to run extra wires to the ABS module.

Didn't mean to be seeming to put you off the traction job (or the offer of parts), just giving my opinion. I have never tried to do it so don't know for sure.

Posted 23 Apr 2011, 11:53 #8 

JakeWilson
Duncan wrote:A few places to look for cruise wiring.

1. The ECU, which would live under the glovebox. 2 spare connectors for the cruise ECU and cruise interface. Just to the right of the fusebok.

2. The vacuum pump / valve. Not sure exactly where the connector would be tucked away, but comes from the same sort of place as the ABS wire and the pad wear wire on the right hand front just by the suspension top. four way (I think) with a rubber boot on it. Seem to remember most wires were brown.

3. The cruise switch itself.

If the wires are there in one place, probably there in all. Was a right pain on my Cowley V6 as the wiring wasn't there at all. You can add it, but it gets as extreme as having to run extra wires to the ABS module.

Didn't mean to be seeming to put you off the traction job (or the offer of parts), just giving my opinion. I have never tried to do it so don't know for sure.

Hey Duncan,

Thanks for your help as always - and no don't worry, your advice has not been anything other than brilliant! :hail: I tend to get carried away at the best of times but a shagged hi-line system is now my main focus!

Posted 23 Apr 2011, 19:45 #9 

Duncan
What's up with the hiline?

Posted 23 Apr 2011, 19:54 #10 

JakeWilson
Duncan wrote:What's up with the hiline?

I've a defunkt board monitor as the selector knobs are both not moving, so that's in bits - hopefully (fingers crossed) a good clean will get that back to life, the display has also about had it.

When booted up, there's NO sound, you cant select any radio features, or the CD Changer. There's also no sound through the sat nav.

When testing on another boardmonitor that works for the diesel, the light next to the volume knob won't light up, steering wheel controls also aren't working along with all other buttons apart from the sat nav knob and also the menu button.

TV also says mute - there's no picture but I fear that's due to the switch over. The radio module fan is also very loud indeed and can be heard from the front seat! :hissyfit: :panic:

Thankfully we're not having to use the car which is good!

However, we did get the rear blind in! :D

Posted 23 Apr 2011, 20:25 #11 

Duncan
Sounds like the radio module is the seat of the problem, though I don't think it has a fan, that's the TV tuner unless I'm mistaken.

I'd double check all the supplies to the radio tuner as either permanent or aux feed missing to it might well give the symptoms you describe.

Posted 23 Apr 2011, 20:35 #12 

JakeWilson
Thanks Duncan,

Had the Radio Module open and it's been properly flooded at some point, absolutely full of all sorts. Have cleaned it up (didn't look too bad!) but have just connected and tried again - just the same so I am guessing, it along with the now VERY noisey Video module are both fit for the scrap. Hopefully get my hands on a replacement one at some point so I can put my mind at rest that it's not the loom!

Really do appreciate the help! :)

Posted 23 Apr 2011, 21:57 #13 

JakeWilson
Finally managed to get my image hosting sorted, so have posted a few snaps of the random loom that is in the car:

Anyone know what it's for?

Posted 25 Apr 2011, 14:56 #14 

Duncan
Yup, that's for the cruise switch. White blue, blue orange, black, red white.

Lucky man!

Time to look under the bonnet for the pump connector.

Posted 25 Apr 2011, 18:42 #15 

JakeWilson
Duncan wrote:Yup, that's for the cruise switch. White blue, blue orange, black, red white.

Lucky man!

Time to look under the bonnet for the pump connector.

Hi Duncan,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post. - thank you for identifying that for me. I've been away and just gone out to the car now.

Where abouts in the engine should I be looking under the bonnet for the pump connector?

J

Posted 29 Apr 2011, 19:28 #16 

MN190
From the front of the car inside the engine compartment
Right hand side at the bottom and back near where the ABS Brake wire comes through
Looking from above in line with the Balance VIS (Variable Intake System) motor

Posted 29 Apr 2011, 19:34 #17