Creaking Noise from Drivers Window by Jürgen

Jürgen
Since lately there's a rattling or creaking noise when I'm driving on a not so smooth road. Its origin is by the drivers window. The noise is gone, when the window is opened just a bit.

What could be the best approach to get rid of it?

Any suggestions?

Posted 28 May 2010, 17:31 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
First and easiest option is to spray or wipe a little silicone lubricant into the window channel

Posted 28 May 2010, 17:32 #2 

Jürgen
Thanks, Mick, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Posted 28 May 2010, 17:47 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
If that doesn't cure it, the next step is to bend the top of the door slightly.
Open the window, place a cushion in the door jamb. That's between the door trailing edge and the B pillar around lock height. Then push the door closed from the top of the window frame, push hard to bend the window frame slightly inwards. I found several pushes did the trick.
Next step adjust the lock striker plate. Slack off the two retaining bolts just a little. Slam the door and push hard on it, operate the door handle while continuing to apply pressure then let the door open. tighten the bolts alternately a little at a time so as not to move the striker plate. Test and adjust again if necessary.
I don't know what the toque is on the bolts but must be done up very tight.

Posted 28 May 2010, 17:57 #4 

Jürgen
Great, it's good to have a plan B. I'll post up the result of plan A tomorrow. :)

Posted 28 May 2010, 18:02 #5 

JohnDotCom
I have found its the lock button rattling sometimes transmitting the noise.
I have removed door card on Dodo's door (carefully) and either wrap tape around the metal rod
or alternatively a piece of sponge.
It stops the metal touching anything.

I have quite a bit of wind noise coming from my door, (await arrival of takestock comment)
think I will have to use Mick's bending of the frame job to try and ease it.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 28 May 2010, 18:16 #6 

Jürgen
Thanks, John.

Posted 28 May 2010, 18:21 #7 

DeuxGazoles
I've got a most annoying rattling from my O/S window which is alieveated??? made better by twitching the switch up but it generally doesn't last :roll:
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 28 May 2010, 18:40 #8 

raistlin
DeuxGazoles wrote:I've got a most annoying rattling from my O/S window which is alieveated??? made better by twitching the switch up but it generally doesn't last :roll:

I had the same and all the offered solutions worked for a while.

Ultimately though I had to change the liner in the runner channel. Never had a noise since.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 28 May 2010, 19:09 #9 

Jürgen
DeuxGazoles wrote:made better by twitching the switch up but it generally doesn't last :roll:

This worked for a short time.

Posted 28 May 2010, 19:28 #10 

Jürgen
raistlin wrote:I had the same and all the offered solutions worked for a while.

Ultimately though I had to change the liner in the runner channel. Never had a noise since.

Hmm, I think I'll go for the easy fix(es) first. And keep your solution in mind.

Posted 28 May 2010, 19:33 #11 

SpongeBob
JDC BoeingGuy wrote:I have quite a bit of wind noise coming from my door, (await arrival of takestock comment)
think I will have to use Mick's bending of the frame job to try and ease it.

Wind noise could be from your wing mirror. I have some wind noise from there and it's where the outer coloured (or chrome) case doesn't make a perfect join with the mirror (black) body. This creates a little depression that, at higher speeds, causes turbulence at that point resulting in noise - usually high-pitch whistling in my case but I suppose the pitch of the noise depends upon the frequency of the turbulence/air speed. :geek:

Posted 28 May 2010, 22:54 #12 

JohnDotCom
I drive at a speed generally that there shouldn't be to much air speed noise unlike you ZT drivers. :D
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 29 May 2010, 08:06 #13 

raistlin
JDC BoeingGuy wrote:I drive at a speed generally that there shouldn't be to much air speed noise unlike you ZT drivers. :D

You wouldn't make that statement under oath ;)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 29 May 2010, 10:28 #14 

Jürgen
It's still there, this annoying noise. :confused:

Oh well, maybe it's because I was too lazy this weekend? :roll:
At least I do have some silicone spray to start with.

Posted 30 May 2010, 17:00 #15 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Jürgen wrote:It's still there, this annoying noise. :confused:

Oh well, maybe it's because I was too lazy this weekend? :roll:
At least I do have some silicone spray to start with.

Could be the door rubbers. Wipe those over with same spray. Spray onto cloth otherwise it gets everywhere.

Posted 30 May 2010, 17:06 #16 

Jürgen
Oh yes, Mick, I'll be very, very careful with this stuff. It would be catastrophic to spill it all over the interior. Even a little bit...

Posted 30 May 2010, 17:11 #17