converting a 3 wire cooling fan to a 2 speed with resistor by mickyboy39

mickyboy39
i have a 03 mg ztt cdti. it has the non resistor fan and i have a warble from the bonnet. on the forums it saysthe air con uses the 1 speed to cool it and its not working? so i have sourced a servicable 2 wire complete fan unit with a free new 100watt resistor housing and harness complete. Question is is there an wiring modification required to exchange this unit or is it a straight swap? Assuming Rover just modified the part to work on theexisting harness connection?

Posted 04 Sep 2013, 21:00 #1 

dattrike
Where's that takestock when he's needed?
Dave will explain it all when he sees this thread. :-D

Posted 05 Sep 2013, 17:25 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
This topic by Arctic should be of some help.

rover-75-fans-controls-boxes-t4904.html?hilit=cooling%20fan#p52272

Posted 05 Sep 2013, 17:53 #3 

Jupiter
Hi Mick, I replaced my inoperative 4 wire fan for a two speed with a gold resistor a few months ago and I got fantastic advice from Artic and Takestock when I went to alter the wiring. I took the opportunity to move the fan control box to a easily accessible position in the engine bay. It has worked a treat since. I used the info supplied by artic ( above ) but as I have a very early diesel 75 I did need a bit of advice via Takestock to get it working correctly. Good Luck.
Jupiter

Posted 05 Sep 2013, 18:47 #4 

takestock
If you have the fan and relay box AND IT IS FROM A DIESEL then it is a straight plug and play. pop the back off the relay box if there is a pcb in there then it is off a diesel. If not there is a wiring diagram on here on how to wire a two speed fan to a three speed diesel relay box

Oh Mr Dattrike, I am really sorry had to work away for two days, will try not to let it happen again :D :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 05 Sep 2013, 19:59 #5 

mickyboy39
thanks to all for your valuable help. only had this car for 1 month and love it to bits. best investment i have ever made! bro in laws just bought a zt too!again all thanks.

Posted 05 Sep 2013, 21:24 #6 

takestock
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 06 Sep 2013, 12:08 #7