Community VIS motor tester by raistlin

raistlin
I believe most of you know by now that, thanks to Dave (Takestock) we now have a VIS (Variable Intake System) motor tester.

Unfortunately, thanks to the Royal Mail sneaky tricks department it now costs £6.75 to send it first class recorded.

Last time I sent it out, a couple of months ago, it cost £2.48 for first class recorded.

I guessed that after the latest price increases, that £3.50 would have covered it. How wrong could I have been?

By all means check it out for yourselves on the "Dick Turpin calculate your phone number rip-off prices" (AKA Royal Mail) website.

I'd be very happy for somebody to tell me I'd got it wrong but it suspect that, like me, you will see the price I quoted above, which, btw, represents an increase 270%, in one hit :(

The package weighs 350g, measures 220 x 160 x 110mm and needs to be posted first class recorded.

Just for comparison, Herpes (sorry, I mean Hermes) will collect it and deliver it, not necessarily in the same serviceable state and not necessarily to the required address within a couple of days, for less than a fiver.

Now, as you know, I just administer this VIS tester. It is the property of the Community and I'll be happy to accept any suggestions for a cheaper shipping method by general consensus.

Personally, I trust Herpes even less than Royal Mail but at the price Royal Mail want now you'd be able to buy the bits and make your own for nearly the cost of postage.

Please let me know your views as members of the Community, even if you'd never be in the position to actually need the VIS tester.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 10 May 2013, 10:46 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I think you have to look at this in terms of how much it would cost to take your car to a garage just to have the VIS actuators tested. From that point of view it is a much cheaper option.
However, I agree entirely that Royal Mail has, with it's new tariffs, increased it's prices many fold on some items. Looks very much like profiteering to me.

Posted 10 May 2013, 11:01 #2 

raistlin
I would like a few people to check out the price independently though Mick. Otherwise it might look as though I'm profiteering :(
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 10 May 2013, 11:09 #3 

Duncan
It's a very well made piece of kit so I'm loathed to suggest this. However, could it be modified to make it a more suitable size for reducing the postage? Thoughts anyone?

Posted 10 May 2013, 13:34 #4 

takestock
Looked at this, if the package is over 16cm high then the sides must be under 16cm long. As it is already under 16cm high then we are struggling to reduce postage costs. A single Vis motor now costs me £4.10 1st class recorded :(
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 10 May 2013, 14:09 #5