clutch hydraulics by leslierose

• Related topics: (no related topics)

leslierose
Sorry to sound as a complete amateur BUT should it ever be necessary to top up the hydraulics on a clutch on a 1.8 turbo gears are feeling a bit ropey on first and second

Posted 19 Mar 2016, 14:48 #1 

PaulT
Yes, as the clutch wears so the slave cylinder needs to extend the movable part that compresses the clutch cover, this it does using additional fluid from the reservoir. Think you will find it is a combined reservoir with the brakes and as the pads wear so they take more fluid out of the reservoir. Therefore, if frequent topping up you have a laek either in the clutch or brakes.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 19 Mar 2016, 15:52 #2 

WillyHeckaslike
I would say no unless it is leaking. The brake fluid reservoir is separate to the clutch, it is located in the plenum chamber on the driver side.

Posted 25 May 2016, 13:18 #3 

PaulT
How is wear compensated by the slave cylinder then?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 25 May 2016, 15:14 #4 

Colvert
PaulT wrote:How is wear compensated by the slave cylinder then?

The rubber CONDOM in the master cylinder COMPRESSES.

The slave cylinder piston moves LESS as the clutch driven plate wears.

This is because the clutch COVER fingers move TOWARDS the slave cylinder and not Away.

In the reservoir for the clutch it is the OPPOSITE to what happens in the brake master cylinder reservoir. One goes Down the other goes Up.

Posted 08 Apr 2017, 13:58 #5 

Last edited by Colvert on 09 Apr 2017, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan
I'll confirm as well, the clutch reservoir is separate. However its usually one of the clutch cylinders that fails anyway. On mine it was actually the release bearing on the slave that broke up, and then damaged the seal on the slave. When I replaced it I saw how much muck was in the master and replaced that too as it would have failed shortly afterwards and the muck could have ruined the new slave. People do to up the reservoirs to try to compensate for leaking seals, but it doesn't usually last long before complete failure.

Not sure what you mean about the cover forks moving towards the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder pushes towards the flywheel / engine. That presses on the centre of the spring fingers in the cover, again moving that towards the flywheel / engine. Of course you are quite right if you are saying that as the friction plate wears, the fingers end up closer to the slave cylinder when fully released. EDIT: yes you must mean that given you talk about the level going up in the master for the clutch.

There have been some funny 'backwards' arrangements of clutches over the years for example Austins that used the VW gearboxes (Maestro, Montego) had a pushrod that went through the gearbox to the clutch where the clutch cover was on the engine side of the flywheel.

Posted 08 Apr 2017, 14:31 #6