Cleaning the inlet manifold? by ceb

ceb
I'm currently stripping a couple of VIS (Variable Intake System) motors to replace / repair my U/S ones, and whilst they are off the manifold I was considering if I could/should spray some cleaner in to the manifold to give it a clean?

Would that be good idea or not, and if it's worth doing what would be the best method/material to spray in to the manifold do you think? :hail:

Cheers,

ceb

Posted 18 Oct 2010, 17:26 #1 

SpongeBob
We've got an Ap for that.

Oh no, hang on... wrong tag line. We've got a Guide (or two) for that ;)

1. Inlet Manifold Cleaning Guide
2. Throttle Body Cleaning Guide (in situ)

Posted 18 Oct 2010, 17:56 #2 

ceb
Thanks for that.

Now - If we could have an 'idiots guide to the 75/ZT' app - I'd buy that for a dollar.....

ceb

Posted 18 Oct 2010, 19:21 #3 

GagHalfrunt
Just a warning to be a little careful with the "in situ" one. I followed it a few years back and broke something on the throttle intake (manic revs).

Posted 27 Oct 2010, 10:16 #4 

ceb
GagHalfrunt wrote:Just a warning to be a little careful with the "in situ" one. I followed it a few years back and broke something on the throttle intake (manic revs).

Yep, thanks for that. All done and sorted, all went o.k, except in taking the air box of I discovered that some muppet in the past had obviously not bothered to check the seating of the hose on to the throttle body and had tightened it up with the hose half on half off so when I took it of I had a nice crushed/split bottom hose :hissyfit:

Posted 27 Oct 2010, 10:36 #5 

MrB
ceb wrote:
GagHalfrunt wrote:Just a warning to be a little careful with the "in situ" one. I followed it a few years back and broke something on the throttle intake (manic revs).

Yep, thanks for that. All done and sorted, all went o.k, except in taking the air box of I discovered that some muppet in the past had obviously not bothered to check the seating of the hose on to the throttle body and had tightened it up with the hose half on half off so when I took it of I had a nice crushed/split bottom hose :hissyfit:

On the plus side should mean it will run even better now you have cleaned it all and put it back together properly.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 29 Oct 2010, 08:42 #6 

Borg Warner
Since having my Hippo serviced, when it had an engine flush, I noticed that it was getting noisy again. Thinking it was the lifters playing up I gave it another flush and oil change yesterday to see if it would quieten done again. Well the mechanical noise has abated, however it appears I may now have the start of the manifold death rattle. Placing a screwdriver on the manifold and listening to the, not so much rattle as load ticking, in the area of the rear of the engine (right as viewed from the front of the car) seems to confirm my fears. The operating rod of the power vis moves in and out, but when I gently push down on it, it sticks. Don't think that is right is it?

Looks a fairly straight forward replacement, but how good are the second hand ones? Surely they are a ticking bomb too?. However rather than fork out for a new one, I'm not THAT flush, I've got a working one coming this week along with seals and rocker cover gaskets as it would seem wise to clean those out whilst it's in pieces. What's the best way to clean out the replacement manifold? I know they can be opened but is it worth it as opposed to the extra work and difficulty?

Gary M.

Posted 20 Sep 2015, 18:47 #7 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Garry.
If you have a spare manifold on it's way to you best way to clean it out is spray it through with carb cleaner did mine last year, I sprayed it out over a few days removing all sensors if they have not been removed already, I bought a big bowl and cleaned it in that allowing it to drain each day, then re-spraying until it was clean all through also if you have access to an air line give it a blow out taking care not to direct the powerful air blast at the flaps.

But as I say cleaning with carb cleaner should suffice cheers Arctic.

PS forgot to say do not split the manifold as you will have a nightmare closing it again, I have only known damaged ones to be opened to take out the gubbins flaps etc and then ran with it gutted
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 20 Sep 2015, 20:23 #8