Clean the intercooler by MrB

MrB
I am going to replace the intercooler pipework on my CDT.

Thought while I am at it I might just give the intercooler a thorough clean.

Is there a way of cleaning out it's internals to remove all of the oilly deposits? Is there a product to run through it?

Also the fins on mine are full of years/miles of crud. What is the best way of cleaning this out? Would a jet wash be too harsh?

Thanks in advance
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 25 Jun 2011, 10:10 #1 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi MrB.
Where did you get the pipe work from please and how costly was they i need to change my intercooler pipe one with the sensor fitted into it. Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 25 Jun 2011, 10:57 #2 

James.uk
I certainly would NOT jet wash it, maybe some sort of degreaser used with a soft brush and rinsed off afterwards?

Posted 25 Jun 2011, 14:34 #3 

JohnDotCom
Should still be available OEM from likes of Rimmers, they become porous and do re quite replacement eventually.
Any of the Gunk type removers should work.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 25 Jun 2011, 14:40 #4 

jonwil
I did this recently on my MK1 Fabia VRS, removed the pipes and placed in a bucket of boiling water with fairy liquid, oily deposits inside the pipes just rise to the top of the bucket. At the same time I poured 25 litres of hot water (mixed with Fairy Liquid) and poured thru the top hole of the intercooler. The car was jacked up on the same side as the intercooler so as I poured the water through it drained easily. Once clear water was coming out job done, wait a while as any remaining water drips out and then soaked rest up with kitchen roll. You can use chemicals and not water (with fairy liquid) but the advantage with using just water is if any of the water remains in the intercooler once the pipes are reconnected you'll just get a mild misfire - I had this on my C250Turbo Diesel Merc when I did it on that :) Benefits are the engine pushes through the revs much easier - noticeable when done :)

Posted 25 Jun 2011, 22:37 #5 

MrB
Thanks guys. A few ideas to think about there.

I did think a jet wash wasn't a good idea but the fins do look very full of mud/oil etc.

Arctic I intend getting it from South Lakes Minis I think, they seem to be the cheapest at the moment. http://www.southlakesminis.co.uk/hoseintercooler-turbocharger-pnh101781-p-39809.html

I believe correct pipes for a CDTi with the sensor are part no pnh101782?? £70 from Rimmers but 1/2 that from South Lakes Minis http://www.southlakesminis.co.uk/hoseintercooler-turbocharger-pnh101782-p-39810.html. I don't have the sensor so is OK for me.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 26 Jun 2011, 00:03 #6 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Chris
Cheers would not the normal one fit but just cut it short ?
http://www.southlakesminis.co.uk/hosein ... 39809.html
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 27 Jun 2011, 13:28 #7 

Duncan
Arctic wrote:HI Chris

I wondered the same, especially as it does look as though they are hand cut for the sensor.

The 'proper' version is over twice the price so I assume it comes with the two 'half' hoses plus the housing in the centre.

It would need old an new measuring to be sure!

Posted 27 Jun 2011, 19:36 #8 

MrB
http://www.southlakesminis.co.uk/hosein ... 39809.html

The only way to be certain would be to compare like for like by getting hold of a normal one and offering it up to yours with the sensor.

From the link I have given the difference in price is only £7ish if you find you do need to go for the later part.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 29 Jun 2011, 11:09 #9 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Chris did you go ahead and purchase the intercooler pipe if so any chance of putting a pic up of it for us, cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 04 Jul 2011, 18:27 #10 

MrB
Hi Arctic.

Not yet, just waiting for some funds & then I'll be ordering one.

Probably will be around the end of this month.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 05 Jul 2011, 12:55 #11 

Arctic
(Trader)
MrB wrote:Hi Arctic.

Not yet, just waiting for some funds & then I'll be ordering one.

Probably will be around the end of this month.

Hi Chris.
I purchased this along with a diesel two speed fan and some scuttle trays, i will see if it fits and if so then thats means peeps can purchase the cheaper hose,
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 15 Jul 2011, 18:11 #12 

Arctic
(Trader)
Duncan wrote:

I wondered the same, especially as it does look as though they are hand cut for the sensor.

The 'proper' version is over twice the price so I assume it comes with the two 'half' hoses plus the housing in the centre.

It would need old an new measuring to be sure!

Hi Duncan.
manged to get round to comparing the two hose and the answer to the question above is yes once cut it give you the xtra piece hose which fits from the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) to the sensor. bonus :thumbsup:
Image1

Image2

new hose fitted to the right kept the part to the left for when ever i may need it,
Image3
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 23 Jul 2011, 20:15 #13 

MrB
Glad you got it sorted.

Will be sending off for my shiny new pipe soon.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 25 Jul 2011, 15:53 #14