Clay Chimminea by zojosc

• Related topics: (no related topics)

zojosc
Just obtained a second hand large chiminea (why I don't know because if it's cold I go in the house). With it came a kind of dished plate with a kinda china mans hat on the top.....whats it for? If I get an answer I will donate a fiver to Mick's slush fund!
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 19:40 #1 

MrDoodles
It's to stop rain entering them, because if they're left outside with water in them and it freezes, the ice breaks them! ;)

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 19:51 #2 

zojosc
Thank you Mr Doodles but why is there two pieces to this lid"?
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 19:59 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Some just have a "teapot" type lid for covering the chimney when not in use. These seem to be mostly the clay type
The second type, which sounds like the one you have, the chimney is vented and the lid is fitted when in use. These are mostly cast iron and or steel.

Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 21.40.42.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 20:42 #4 

MrDoodles
zojosc wrote:Thank you Mr Doodles but why is there two pieces to this lid"?

Without seeing a picture, difficult to say, but I would suggest that one is to keep the rain out and the other to restrict the air flow so things burn slower in it! :confused:

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 20:43 #5 

zojosc
Well it appears that what I have is a pointed lid and the dish thing is to stand it in when not on the chimney. Thanks guys a fiver is wizzing it's way to Mick's arse pocket.
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 13 Jul 2013, 08:49 #6 

Dave Goody
Mick has an arse with pockets? I thought he walked funny!

Posted 29 Jul 2013, 16:43 #7