Classic ?? I don't think so . . . by Tourerfogey

Tourerfogey
. . . well, not yet anyway.

I've noticed that punters with 75s/Zts for sale are increasingly advertsing them as 'classics'. There's one of each in the eBay 'classic car' section at the moment.

I mean they just aren't classics are they - so why do it?

Posted 23 Aug 2011, 13:27 #1 

PaulT
Get an 'S' reg and that is probably a 'classic'.

But in years to come they must surely feature in the classic car scene and perhaps now is the time to buy an early unmolested example
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 23 Aug 2011, 13:45 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Classic lines, classic shape, classic interiors.
The earliest cars will be proper classics. Providing, as Paul says they are in original factory spec. although price wise they are not.
People advertising these cars less than ten years old as classic are just fooling themselves and anybody daft enough to believe them.

Classic Car Defined
According to the UK government Revenue and Customs, a classic car is any car that is more than 10 years old and worth more than ₤15,000 pounds.

Some insurance companies will make a judgement on value and age.

Classic Car Insurance Eligibility
Your car is eligible for classic car insurance if it complies with the following conditions :

Your car must be at least 10 years old but some companies allow it to be anything from five years old or more. A few companies though will insure brand new classic cars too.
The minimum value of the car is decided by the insurer.
The vehicle must be used as a second car, never as a primary vehicle. Other considerations for some insurers include how you keep your car (garaging preferred) and good driving records. The car should generally be kept under lock and key, with only limited people allowed access to it. The car is not always covered if parked other than at the residence, even temporarily.
Driving your vintage car on a regular basis will disqualify you for classic car insurance. A basic limitation imposed by the vast majority of classic car insurers is on the mileage permitted per year and the manner in which that mileage is used. The range is generally 1,500 - 6,000 miles per year. The lower the mileage you limit yourself to, the lower your premium will be. The car may not be in everyday use or used for routine errands such as going to work, shopping or taking children to school. Weddings and other such instances are permissible.
Refitting your antique car so that it can participate in car rallies or sporting activities will disqualify you for classic car insurance.
The age of the motorist should be at least 21 years of age but it varies between policies. Obviously, the younger the driver, the higher the premium as companies opt for experience. Some companies will refuse to insure cars with young drivers.
Depending on the insurance provider, classic car insurance is specific to car make and model.
Your antique car must not have been involved in criminal activity.
The car originated in the UK.
You possess an unexpired UK or EU car license.
If you qualify for classic car insurance, their premiums will cost you only a fraction of what normal companies will charge you. The policy details vary from company to company as with standard motor insurance as do the eligibility requirements, so check all the details carefully. Once you comply with the insurer’s conditions, your car insurance provider will provide you with classic car insurance without any hesitation.

It's all pretty arbitrary anyway as in 5 years time fuel will be around £5.00 per litre IMHO and we will all be searching for classic bicycles. Get ahead of the game and invest in one now. :)

Posted 23 Aug 2011, 13:58 #3 

Tourerfogey
Classic bicycles eh? Wouldn't mind a Raleigh Chopper - though they already fetch ayhting up to a grand if in good nick :shock:

Posted 23 Aug 2011, 19:43 #4 

James.uk
Actually I think the 75 was a "Classic" the day it rolled off the production line, they were made to look retro classic and they do and are.. :)

Re fuel prices, try to find the video "GasHole" to find out what really goes on........................

Posted 24 Aug 2011, 01:30 #5 

nisfo
Our cars meet the Modern classic criteria...IMHO...lol

Posted 24 Aug 2011, 23:20 #6 

Ragman
And mine's listed in practical classics

Posted 24 Aug 2011, 23:29 #7 

JohnDotCom
As a lot of the earlier petrol ones are now only bring around £750 or less, a way perhaps to try and get a few more £s.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 25 Aug 2011, 11:52 #8