Charity? You can whistle. by raistlin

raistlin
We have a three piece bedroom fitting, you know, two wardrobes and a vanity unit which bolt together and take up the whole of one bedroom wall. It is now redundant and I was going to chop it up for firewood because I CBA selling it as it would need a van to shift it. They are not flat pack items.

SWMBO suggested letting a local charity have the unit for their furniture shop in the City so she phoned them up and was told.

"Well, we can agree in principle, but we'de have to send one of our inspectors out to examine it to ensure that it reaches our high standards" SWMBO and I were not impressed but as the unit is less than three years old she decided to go along with them.

She was then told "If the items do not meet our exacting standards, we will have to charge you an administration fee of £25 towards the cost of the inpection".

The phone went straight down. I'll chop the damned thing up for fire-wood.

I'm not going to mention the charity name to save their blushes but I'd suggest that next time you want to donate to charity, you have your solicitor look over the "contract" :evil:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 29 Oct 2015, 13:07 #1 

PaulT
Well, they have to get the money to pay their CEO £500k some how.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 29 Oct 2015, 13:12 #2 

Borg Warner
I'm gobsmacked.

But as we see elsewhere £25 is nothing to £46m one "charity" seems to have taken....

Gary M.

Posted 29 Oct 2015, 18:06 #3 

Duncan
They have easier ways of making £25. They will pay £25 to a profit making organisation, to ring up people who have already donated £25 and ask for more money, because they don't have enough money. '£25 would be a start in helping us reach our goals'. I'm not making it up, I had one particular charity do just that. Apparently its easier to extract more money from those who have already given, than try to persuade new people to donate.

I cancelled my direct debit, and got close to having to make a complaint for harassment.

Posted 29 Oct 2015, 18:13 #4 

Jürgen
It's annoying and disappointing when you decide to give some money for a good cause and then the begging letters start to flock in. Then you know that they are wasting the money.

Posted 29 Oct 2015, 19:11 #5