Changing Manifold & EGR by Arctic

Arctic
(Trader)
After sourcing a couple of diesel manifolds and cleaned them also couple of EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve)'s i decided to change them ready for the summer months ahead i know seems i have jumped the gun :roll: as its's now snowing :gmc: anyways some of the photo's below of how i am changing the manifold and EGR.

Fig 1 the components Arhh yes also the engine cover
Image1

EGR valve fig 2

Cleaned out manifold fig 3/3a/4

Image3

Image3a

Image4

Engine cover removel three bolts fig 5/6
Image5
marked with yellow dots
Image6

Next remove the air duct five bolts fig 7/8/9
Image7
marked with green dots
Image8
removed and ready to be set aside safely
Image9

manifold and EGR exposed fig 10
Image10

Unclip the fuel line fig 11/12
Image11

Image12

remove vacum pipe from EGR fig 13
Image13

release EGR pipe clip fig 14
Image14

Snow stops work in progress fig 15
Image15
To be continued :cry:

Resumed 5/2/12

Remove the hose from the EGR fig 16
Image16

release the cam sensor wiring gromit from manifold fig 17
Image17

Unplug the MAP sensor wire from the manifold opposite side fig 18
Image18

The manifold is now ready to be removed by undoing the eight bolts at the top and the five at the bottom fig 19
Image19

Once all the bolts and nuts loose/removed lift mainfold free along with the attached EGR fig 20/21 ready for the cleaned one to be fitted if you have one if not you will need to clean your own along with the EGR if cleaning your own do it on a nice warm day as this could take an hour or so.
Image20

Image21

As i already had a replacement manifold and EGR cleaned and ready to fit it was just a case of removeing the dirty EGR fig 22
Image22

Cleaned one and dirty one side by side this one is not that bad have seen some really crudy ones well blocked. fig 23
Image23

Next remove the MAP sensor 10mm bolt as the can get cruded up as well and will need cleaning with some carb cleaner fig 24/25
Image24

Image25

MAP sensor removed note the black sticky goo on the end this can sometime be really crudy and hard give it a spray to soften do not chip or scrape at the sensor once softened wipe clean with a rag also wet with carb cleaner then wipe dry.fig 26/27
Image26

Image27

Once cleaned fit the MAP sensor back along with the cleaned EGR to the manifold ready to be fitted back to the engine make sure all the rubber gaskets are in tact and in place properly fig 28/29
Image28

Image29

Fit the manifold back in place along with all the other items ie hose to EGR vacum little hose, MAP sensor wire,fuel pipe hose, cam sensor wire gromit etc double check everything is in place.fig 30
Image30

Replace air intake pipe fig 31
Image31

Then finaly fit the engine cover all this helps the engine to breath a bit better and can help with MPG fig 32
Image32

If you have a turbo sensor like i do this also can be cleaned at the same time with carb cleaner remove the small hose which connects between the EGR and the turbo sensor fig 33
Image33

Unplug the wiring to the sensor fig 34
Image34

Remover the other hose which connects to the intercooler and remove the sensor housing fig 35
Image35

Fig 36 the sensor insdie the housing which can be sprayed with carb cleaner mine was quite clean really but still sprayed it once shaken dry reverse fit job done.
Image36

I also replaced the fuel filter at the same time which you may wish to do also you can find the how to for this on another thread hope this helps some members Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 04 Feb 2012, 14:32 #1