cash for clunkers by jonjon77

jonjon77
has anyone seen the videos of the cash for clunkers on youtube? its a bit like our srcapage scheme but they have to empty the oil and pour in something and rev the nuts of it so it seizes the engines on the cars.l saw a volvo s80 t6 have this done to it and it seemed such a waste.

jon

Posted 10 Jul 2010, 19:39 #1 

loz1971
I don't understand why they have to blow the engines, but still :confused: :confused: :confused:

What they pour in is a water/silica/sand combination. When it gets hot it basically turns to glass and seizes the engine solid!!

WARNING!! BEFORE WATCHING THESE CLIPS, TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN A BIT!!

Here they are killing a Jaguar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SliIhs3J ... re=related

And here is the Volvo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD0Pv6yy ... re=related

I believe the scheme has come to an end now!!

Listening to the guys that are doing the destroying, very few of them feel it's a good idea, and they all say it's a waste.

I think they may be right!!
:nurse:ALWAYS BE MORE HOPEFUL!!! Image

[centre]"Plus It's not a man purse, it's called a satchel...Indiana Jones wears one"[/centre]

Posted 11 Jul 2010, 01:52 #2 

Samarkand
Poor cars and what a waste :cry: :mad1: Couldn't watch them till the end
Majed
I miss you a lot Samarkand!

Posted 11 Jul 2010, 10:11 #3 

jonjon77
cheers for the links l have no idea how to do it.neither do most of the people who watched the clips judging by the comments left.l think the volvo had only done 92k and still looked like new under the bonnet.

Posted 11 Jul 2010, 12:24 #4 

PaulT
At least the Yanks did not include 'classic' cars in the scheme whereas in the UK anything over 10 years old could be traded in - with a few nice classics now no more
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 07:38 #5 

loz1971
Eeeer, yes they did!! they also blew up a classic Maserati, several Cadillacs, one from 1957!!, and a few series 2 and 3 Jaguar XJ12's!! :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:
:nurse:ALWAYS BE MORE HOPEFUL!!! Image

[centre]"Plus It's not a man purse, it's called a satchel...Indiana Jones wears one"[/centre]

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 16:21 #6 

Jürgen
That's just [insert swear word of your choice here] stupid. :mad1:

What a waste of resources, it's so shortsighted.

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 17:05 #7 

jonjon77
l didnt look at the maserati clip :confused: makes me wonder how many good cars went to waste through these schemes.l remember reading in car mechanic about a dealer tring to save a car from been scrapped but l cant remember what it was.

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 19:38 #8