Can anybody help please? by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
Is there anybody local to Wolverhampton with a head for heights and the know-how to replace a broken ridge tile please?

I get scared of heights when I stand on a chair :(

I know there is a wide range of skills on the forum so just thought I'd ask. We'd be very grateful if anybody can help. I don't even know what to buy to do the job:(

Thanks.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 04 Jan 2012, 19:00 #1 

Bermudan 75
Hi Paul, in what way is the ridge tile broken? Some tiles interlock so it may be a case of resetting the tiles. Do you know what type of tiles they are? Any chance of a picture?

Cheers

Mike

Posted 04 Jan 2012, 22:31 #2 

raistlin
They are the semi-cylindrical type Mike. one of them has been broken into several pieces
Paul

Posted 05 Jan 2012, 06:23 #3 

raistlin
Rover418275 wrote:Any chance of a picture?

I tried Mike, but my phone camera doesn't give enough detail :(
Paul

Posted 05 Jan 2012, 21:13 #4 

raistlin
Admin please delete
Paul

Posted 05 Jan 2012, 22:34 #5 

Last edited by raistlin on 06 Jan 2012, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

Bermudan 75
Hi Paul,

A competent builder/roofer should be able to carry out the repair. I wonder why only one tile is broken? could be frost damage? The most common repair to ridge tile is the rebedding of the tiles. You may find that a number or all of the tiles need to be rebedded. As for costs, well materials will be at least one replacement ridgetile, no more than £10, 3:1 sharp sand:cement mortar.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Posted 06 Jan 2012, 10:20 #6 

Zeb
Hi Paul.
Fairly certain your tiles are not the interlocking variety. I would take a bet at it being the end tile that has been lifted by the wind and damaged. Unfortunately I am not up for doing roofs...don't mind the height but my balance might just let me down...

Posted 06 Jan 2012, 13:11 #7 

PaulT
Paul

A suggestion, phone your local NHS acute trust, ask for the estates dept. They might tell you who they use for small repairs who should be reliable and not a rip off merchant.

I'm a little different to you, I do not mind heights but absolutely do not like going up ladders.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 06 Jan 2012, 13:20 #8 

raistlin
Thanks chaps :)

The last time we had ridge tiles "replaced" we were ripped off and hence my hope that somebody I could trust would do the job.

PaulT - a capital suggestion - thank you. That would clearly address my concerns.
Paul

Posted 06 Jan 2012, 19:57 #9 

DeuxGazoles
I would offer to help but
A It's too far south
B I have no building/DIY skills whatsoever
C I get fuzzy headed looking down a kerbstone
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 06 Jan 2012, 20:22 #10 

Bermudan 75
raistlin wrote:Thanks chaps :)

The last time we had ridge tiles "replaced" we were ripped off and hence my hope that somebody I could trust would do the job..

That is exactly my concern, my mother has a small leak in her garage flat roof. Brother in law who is supposed to be a builder turned up with a tube of mastic. When I pointed out to him that the fault lay with the adjoining flashing to a wall, he said, oh yeah better come back with some sand and cement....

I think your best bet is to get three quotes from local roofers, your local Trading Standards Office should have a list.

Do any of the many photographs of our meets at you house show the offending roof line?

Mike

Posted 07 Jan 2012, 10:04 #11 

raistlin
Rover418275 wrote:Do any of the many photographs of our meets at you house show the offending roof line?

Mike, one or two of the photos in the wolverhampton nano meets gallery show the area on the house next door but not in any detail.
Paul

Posted 07 Jan 2012, 10:11 #12 

Borg Warner
Hi Paule

How was Norfolk?

Try this guy: ADS Building & Carpentry Services Be the first to add a review
ADS Building & Carpentry Services .
Ventnor House, 120 Wood Road, Codsall, Wolverhampton , WV8 1DW 0.8 miles NW

He was my neighbour at Codsall did a loft conversion for me as well as installed a new door.

Hope this helps

Gary

Posted 07 Jan 2012, 18:19 #13 

starbug2
sorry but i don't like heights .....i'm sure some one on here can help..

Posted 08 Jan 2012, 18:04 #14 

raistlin
OK,

We had a professional take a look at the roof this morning. He was literally able to lift the ridge tiles off as the cowboys who had re-bedded them previously had used next to no cement in the mix :(

Also found the chimney brickwork pointing was in such a mess that it was allowing damp in :(

Ah well... £600 but at least it will be done properly this time.
Paul

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 09:33 #15 

Bermudan 75
Glad you have got it sorted Paul. They (the cowboys) probably broke the tile when they were up on the roof. I would advise thatyou check the loft space for any signs of water ingress.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 09:57 #16 

raistlin
The chap who inspected today checked the integrity of the roof and the loft space and confirmed all else was OK Mike. The damp penetrating the chimney brickwork might be the cause of the damp in the dining room as well, which would be a bonus :)
Paul

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 10:39 #17