Bonnet Release - NOW SORTED - cheers Spongebob by MrB

MrB
Having put most of the front back together - everything back on apart from the bumper and grille - my bonnet release is not working.

I managed to get it open by slackening the bolts holding the catch in with a spanner through the panel gap and then pulling the release again.

What is the recommended way to adjust the catch?

Is there a correct route for the cables?? Mine are just going under the slam panel and then round to the cable block.

I should also point out mine only has one catch, the one on the passenger side, the catch on the driver's side is missing from the bonnet.

Thanks in advance

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 19 Jul 2010, 08:51 #1 

Last edited by MrB on 23 Jul 2010, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

PaulT
Chris

Think you need to visit a breakers to get the other catch.

The recommendation is to turn over the block that connects the single cable to the two to the catches such that the slots to fit in the cables are away from the inner wing.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 19 Jul 2010, 10:45 #2 

MrB
PaulT wrote:Chris

Think you need to visit a breakers to get the other catch.

The recommendation is to turn over the block that connects the single cable to the two to the catches such that the slots to fit in the cables are away from the inner wing.

I plan on replacing the full bonnet at some point in the future - when funds allow - so will highly likely get the other catch then.

I have checked the cable block and it is in the correct way up.

The problem I am having is that the catch isn't releasing - I need to know how to adjust it properly - or is it just a case of trial and error???
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 19 Jul 2010, 11:23 #3 

SpongeBob
If you dismantled the slam panel area along with the mechanisms that hold the bonnet shut then you may have accidentally tightened them too much. I remember doing this on mine I believe and found that one stuck until I slackened some bolt or another off. A bit vague but it was a couple of years back when I did it.

Posted 19 Jul 2010, 16:08 #4 

MrB
SpongeBob wrote:If you dismantled the slam panel area along with the mechanisms that hold the bonnet shut then you may have accidentally tightened them too much. I remember doing this on mine I believe and found that one stuck until I slackened some bolt or another off. A bit vague but it was a couple of years back when I did it.

That does make sense.

I'll try and slacken them just a little and see if that sorts it out.

Cheers

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 19 Jul 2010, 18:26 #5 

MrB
SpongeBob wrote:If you dismantled the slam panel area along with the mechanisms that hold the bonnet shut then you may have accidentally tightened them too much. I remember doing this on mine I believe and found that one stuck until I slackened some bolt or another off. A bit vague but it was a couple of years back when I did it.

Spongebob you were spot on.

I have slackened off the bolts so they just hold it firmly against the slam panel and all is now working as it should once more.

Thanks an awful lot. :cheers:

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 20:15 #6