Bluestone 42 by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
I happened upon this program last night when on one of my rare channel hopping expeditions.

Initially (first few seconds) I thought it was a 'fly on the wall' documentary but was soon disabused of this notion and then spent a pleasant half hour wondering how anybody could make something genuinely funny out of something which is, after all, horrific. I came to the possibly erroneous conclusion that you have to be in the armed forces or ex armed forces to appreciate it. Not quite gallows humour but something akin to it.

I found myself wondering if I should, perhaps, be feeling a little guilty.

Has anybody else seen it? Any opinions please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 06 Mar 2013, 15:54 #1 

Mofo
I didn't watch it - missed it unfortunately but I had seen a few clips and thought it might be worth a look. Will have to find when it's repeated / i-player'd.

Posted 06 Mar 2013, 16:46 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I intend to watch the first episode this evening on Iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... Episode_1/

Posted 06 Mar 2013, 17:09 #3 

Mofo
Many thanks for the link Mick - saves me a wee job!

Posted 06 Mar 2013, 19:07 #4 

Jumper
I saw it last night (perhaps a repeat?) and laughed like a drain, especially when Arthur trans-gendered into Martha. The scene where the Padre has just left the shower and the officer entered her tent (no pun) was reminiscent of Hotlips Houlihan in the collapsing shower of M.A.S.H., only not quite so funny.

Comparisons like that must be inevitable but this latest work seems more Monty Python than M.A.S.H. I suppose that’s to be expected, but the Americans’ laconic approach is drier and more poignant whilst being edgy and nervously comic.

Enjoyed it, but afterwards wondered if I might feel the same if a member of my family…… Perhaps it falls into Frankie Boyle territory - occasionally funny rather than enriching?
And then there’s the language. If you can’t write funny without resorting to flaughs (sic) you are not a comedy writer.

Posted 07 Mar 2013, 12:13 #5 

raistlin
Well, I just watched episode 2 and I have to say that this series is going to be a keeper :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 13 Mar 2013, 19:10 #6