Auto gear box - clunking by Bermudan 75 (Page 1 of 4)

Bermudan 75
Just went out in the car and noticed that when the auto box changes up and down, especially in the lower gears there is a slight clunking sound and the change is rather jerky.

Any clues? 45k on the clock and serviced at correct intervals by ex Rover people.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 19 Jan 2012, 12:57 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
By service do you mean the gearbox fluid has been changed? That's the main cause of anomalies with the box.

Posted 19 Jan 2012, 13:30 #2 

Bermudan 75
I will have to check on what was done, last May was the last service but due to the cost of fitting a new alternator we decided to leave off a couple of items. Just read in Haynes that auto gearbox oil should be changed at 30k for the diesel. I wonder if it was not done then, would the existing oil degrade to cause the notchy gear changes?

Posted 19 Jan 2012, 13:41 #3 

Bermudan 75
Was last serviced with 36k on the clock, auto gearbox oil was not changed, but the Rover servicing shedule says change the oil at 60k or 4 years. I wonder if the oil would just degrade over time?

Posted 19 Jan 2012, 14:16 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
60k or 4 years is correct, fluid will degrade over time even if the car is not used. Anyway, fluid change is first port of call with gearbox problems.

Posted 19 Jan 2012, 14:39 #5 

Bermudan 75
I have read that this is ideally done with the use of a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System), the nearest garage with a T4 is 34 miles away. Would it be safe to drive that distance or should I just top up the oil before driving the car?

Posted 19 Jan 2012, 16:05 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I should have stated, "minor" gearbox problems, which yours appears to be, I'm pretty sure a 34 mile trip will do it no harm. No point in topping up, that's not something that is done between 60Kmile changes.

Posted 19 Jan 2012, 16:14 #7 

Bermudan 75
Thanks Mick

Posted 19 Jan 2012, 16:46 #8 

Duncan
The T4 is used to check the temperature of the oil, so the level is checked when the temperature is right.

So you may have to leave it to cool down for quite a while when you get there.

Personally, I did mine by feel of the outer casing, and though I'm sure some won't agree with me, it worked for me.

Posted 19 Jan 2012, 19:45 #9 

Bermudan 75
Car is booked in for first thing this Tuesday at M&R Motors, Macclesfield. Ex-Rover guys who attended the first Cheshire meet with their T4.

Have quoted around £20 labour plus new gear box oil.

Posted 20 Jan 2012, 11:47 #10 

mh007
Rover418275 wrote:Just went out in the car and noticed that when the auto box changes up and down, especially in the lower gears there is a slight clunking sound and the change is rather jerky.

Any clues? 45k on the clock and serviced at correct intervals by ex Rover people.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike

If your problem is not oil related:

The usual suspect from experience is the 2/4 Brake Duty Solenoid.

This will give you aggressive gear changes & is located behind the front cover on the gearbox along with the other 8 Solenoids (so 9 in total)

A diagnostic scan of the gearbox will usually throw up a fault code (but not all the time)

All 9 Solenoids can be accessed & changed, if required, without the removal of the gearbox.

Also of course, check the Lower Engine Mount/Tie as these wear & can produce excessive movement of the engine/gearbox.

Good luck with this.

Posted 20 Jan 2012, 23:15 #11 

Bermudan 75
When slowing just before stopping it feels as though it is going into first gear to early, rather like putting a manual into first gear.

Posted 22 Jan 2012, 13:05 #12 

mh007
To be honest, this is sounding more like the 2/4 Brake Duty Solenoid the more you describe your fault !

I would strongly suggest a diagnostic scan of the gearbox & the usual fault code for the above Solenoid is P1748 (Open/Short Circuit)

It doesn't have to be a T4 by the way.

I use a Snap-On Solus Pro & that's always worked for me.

Posted 22 Jan 2012, 18:50 #13 

PaulT
mh007 wrote:I use a Snap-On Solus Pro & that's always worked for me.

Just looked that up - they are nice and cheap!
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 23 Jan 2012, 15:32 #14 

mh007
Hi Paul
I mentioned what I use just to let you know it doesn't have to specifically be a T4.
You have more chances & choice of where you get it scanned to.
Other makes will work but not the cheaper versions as they will only scan the engine.

Posted 23 Jan 2012, 18:40 #15 

Bermudan 75
Car is now due in tomorrow (Monday), I will post up what the findings are.

Posted 29 Jan 2012, 22:02 #16 

Bermudan 75
Well the gearbox oil has been changed and I still have the problem. The T4 did not find any faults. :confused:

Does anyone know where I can get the 2/4 Brake Duty Solenoids from? I will have a go at changing it myself.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 30 Jan 2012, 17:58 #17 

Bermudan 75
Solenoid ordered from

JPAT, £48.50 delivered.

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 16:36 #18 

takestock
Watching this with interest Mike. Good luck with it :)

Have you taken the resistance readings at the gearbox plug?
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 16:42 #19 

Bermudan 75
Gearbox plug?

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 18:11 #20