Anyone into TV repairs by ceedy

• Related topics: (no related topics)

ceedy
Panasonic Viera 42 inch LCD, won't switch on .. :hissyfit:
4 blinks of the power light relates to a power supply problem.
Its a TX-L-42S 10b , far too nice to just chuck away ..

Whipped PSU board out , and can't see anything burnt or bulgy Capactitorish .
tested a few components and they seem ok ..

Even found a Service manual but although I can read and partially understand some, its outside my brief to diagnose , :em:
But capable of testing under instructions from some more experienced person !

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 23 Dec 2012, 14:37 #1 

Duncan
I used to fix them many years ago, while they still had tubes though.

Only flatscreen I ever fixed was a simple bad soldered joint in the power supply. So I can only suggest a magnifying glass as they still happen.

Posted 23 Dec 2012, 14:47 #2 

Zeb
ceedy
Was actually given this as dead TV . :thumbsup:
Well Sussed that 4 blinks is a PSU prob..
managed to sort of isolate the Prob down to a controller IC 18 pin ( I think ), Found it seems only available from China.. About £5 for 2 ,, but quoted £20-30 for postage .. ????, tried to wangle a sample but still want lotsa postage.? worst bit was up to 40 days delivery ?? why ?

Well Found another whole PSU board on the net for £40.. fitted, an its all perfect . :clap:

Now its working .. SWMBO has decided its too big for the Room, I agree a bit !! but its ace for movies..

So its on Gumtree, and few other free sites .. Not Giving Fleabay 20% .. ;)

We will see what happens..

So back to the Hannspree 27 incher.. a super lil TV with excellent sound. but a tad small after this monster, til I find a 37-40 suitable .( IE one with decent sound)
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 31 Dec 2012, 11:57 #4 

zojosc
My dad was a self taught tv engineer many years ago and I picked up a few tips from him. A couple of light taps on the side with an open palm usually did the trick but failing this one large thump with a clenched fist on the top either killed or cured...........sorry, it just brought back memories!
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 31 Dec 2012, 12:10 #5 

ceedy
zojosc wrote:My dad was a self taught tv engineer many years ago and I picked up a few tips from him. A couple of light taps on the side with an open palm usually did the trick but failing this one large thump with a clenched fist on the top either killed or cured...........sorry, it just brought back memories!

Years back we had a old Philips TV Wooden case type , every few months it would go green, turn it on its side give a good boot and all well again for months.

Around that time my no 1 son had a prob with his Amstrad tv ( and being teenager :clap: thought "it works for dad!! ?) ..

Put his foot right through the case and the main board.
it punched the main transformer right off the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) .
So Muggins spent a few hours sticking it back in with a spiders web of copper wires ,
and it actually worked ..

C.

Posted 31 Dec 2012, 16:40 #6 

Duncan
zojosc wrote:My dad was a self taught tv engineer many years ago and I picked up a few tips from him. A couple of light taps on the side with an open palm usually did the trick but failing this one large thump with a clenched fist on the top either killed or cured...........sorry, it just brought back memories!

Still works as well today as it ever did. Repaired a cordless phone this afternoon with a good smack.

I did once have a bigger repair job when someone had found tapping a radio fixed it for a while. They only asked me to look at it when hitting it with a rock had stopped working anymore.!

Posted 31 Dec 2012, 18:04 #7 

Duncan
By the way, the technique is technically known as percussive maintenance.

Posted 31 Dec 2012, 19:58 #8 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Ceedy did you sell this in the end Panasonic Viera 42 inch LCD
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 05 Jan 2013, 03:32 #9 

ceedy
Yup, it went yesterday ... had so many calls , should have asked a bit more for it !!

Bloke came from Cardiff to get it , now I've got to buy a another as typically now its gone , Swmbo ( who started the "its too big for this room ", is wingeing cos the current one is now too small!! Arrgh!! :whump:

Suppose now i can get a 40 incher :shock: .. and pay more for it!!
its another minefield for a buyer , with my old ears I need one with decent sort of Audio ,
most of them are awful

Even this viera was only just about ok .

C.

Posted 05 Jan 2013, 09:25 #10