Another tale by raistlin

raistlin
As you might imagine, there are many people who find themselves in Court for various reasons and I have to say that most don't merit comment. Those I mention in this forum have, in my view, something of interest. This is one that we heard this morning.

The defendant was charged with causing death by careless driving, the prosecution case being that he ought to have been sufficiently aware that he could have taken avoiding action.

The defendant collided with a 31 year old male pedestrian who was attempting to cross a road, not on a controlled pedestrian crossing.

He pleaded not guilty, his defence being that, had the pedestrian not been in the road, there would have been no collision and that therefore, the pedestrian was responsible for his own death.

When asked why he had not taken avoiding action, he replied, "It's not my job to look out for every dick-head on the road"

When further pressed he accepted that he could well have taken avoiding action but insisted that his driving standard had been reasonable in the circumstances, the pedestrian being the one whose actions should be regarded as suspect, ie. he shouldn't have been in the road.

His defence failed. We convicted him and committed him to Crown Court for sentencing.

The parents and girl friend of the deceased were in Court for the duration of the trial.

As I said, the greater majority of cases are not worth commenting on, but some are.

I'm chairing the remand Court tomorrow morning as well... that should be a barrel of laughs.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 31 Dec 2012, 16:19 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Utterly selfish, I hope he has some four years or so to contemplate his lack of respect for the rest of humanity.

Posted 31 Dec 2012, 16:46 #2 

humphshumphs
Sounds like a case of throw away the key to me. He obviously doesn't think anything of human life!
Richard

Posted 31 Dec 2012, 17:13 #3 

raistlin
Such cases are mercifully few, but it just gives an insight into the minds of some people.
Paul

Posted 31 Dec 2012, 19:27 #4 

raistlin
Well, 2013 has started off on a hopeful note.

There were a total of six cases this morning from the whole of the Black Country.

Last New Year's Day Remand Court, there were 38 domestic violence cases and well over a dozen others.
Paul

Posted 01 Jan 2013, 13:33 #5