Acronyms and abbreviations. by Duncan (Page 1 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Duncan
Further to a question in the main forum about this. Here is the start of a list. Both internetty / forum type things, and technical.
Please add as you feel appropriate:

Technical:

ABS (Antilock Braking System): Antilock Braking System
ECU (Engine Control Unit): Electronic control unit or Engine control Unit
BCU (Body Control Unit): Body control unit, operates the door locking, alarm system, and so on.
IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)): Instrument pack (IPK from the German)
EWS (Engine immobiliser (EWS from the German, Elektronik WegfahrSicherung)): Engine immobiliser (EWS from the German, Elektronik WegfahrSicherung)
FBH (Fuel burning heater.): Fuel burning heater (only on diesels)
T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System): Testbook version 4. There are others but the latest and best is the T4. This is used for diagnosing and recoding cars.
VIS (Variable Intake System): Variable Intake System

Forum:
OP: Original Poster (the person who started the thread)
HTH: Hope that helps
OTOH: On the other hand
SWMBO: She who must be obeyed.

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 21:13 #1 

JohnDotCom
Used quite a bit but not always appropriate:

PMSL = Pi**ed My Self Laughing.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 21:17 #2 

SpongeBob
We've now implemented automatic recognition of common abbreviations. If you look in the list above fuel burning heater has it's definition added in citation after it. This should make it easier for everyone, newbies and oldies alike, to read and understand posts.

No need to change the way you type. Add you abbreviations into posts as you would normally. Admin will add abbreviations to the automatic changer as necessary so please continue to add suggestions to this thread where they can be reviewed. You'll know an abbreviation has been added as it'll be automatically parsed in your post ;)

For starters, we've done F B H (without spaces)

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 23:17 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Just to add, this function is for tech abbreviations only. All others you will have to work out for yourselves. :)

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 23:55 #4 

Jürgen
SpongeBob wrote:We've now implemented automatic recognition of common abbreviations.

Good idea. :thumbsup:

BTW the most adequate German expression for EWS is Elektronische Wegfahrsperre. ;)

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 05:37 #5 

Rammie
PCB (Printed Circuit Board), this one had me stumped for ages in the past. Printed Circuit Board, I believe, maybe this could be added to the definitive list, if not already accounted for ;)
Brian

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 06:21 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thanks Jürgen and Yertiz , try saying that quickly after a few pints. :)

info will be added.

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 10:09 #7 

Duncan
Jürgen wrote:
SpongeBob wrote:We've now implemented automatic recognition of common abbreviations.

BTW the most adequate German expression for [acr=EWS]Elektronische Wegfahrsperre: Engine immobiliser[/acr] is Elektronische Wegfahrsperre. ;)

I've actually come across both. I agree the blocking (sperre) is more appropriate though. There tends to be differences in terminology between companies, and even in the same company between Northern and Southern 'Branches' if you know what I mean.

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 11:17 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Duncan wrote:
Jürgen wrote:

BTW the most adequate German expression for [acr=[acr=EWS]Elektronische Wegfahrsperre: Engine immobiliser[/acr]]Elektronische Wegfahrsperre: Engine immobiliser[/acr] is Elektronische Wegfahrsperre. ;)

I've actually come across both. I agree the blocking (sperre) is more appropriate though. There tends to be differences in terminology between companies, and even in the same company between Northern and Southern 'Branches' if you know what I mean.

Only fair to include both definitions then. :)

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 11:28 #9 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Will somebody please post the acronyms associated with the oil burners. PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) etc. Much obliged.

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 11:32 #10 

tammyboy
PCV Valve - Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) Valve - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 11:56 #11 

Mick
(Site Admin)
MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) is this a meter or a sensor?

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 12:00 #12 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Mick wrote:[acr=MAF]Mass Air Flow[/acr] is this a meter or a sensor?

Please leave your signature as is the programming has to be adjusted to address sigs as well as posts and PM's Simon will be able to attend to it when he next logs on.
Sorry for the oversight.

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 12:06 #13 

Jürgen
Duncan wrote:I've actually come across both. I agree the blocking (sperre) is more appropriate though. There tends to be differences in terminology between companies, and even in the same company between Northern and Southern 'Branches' if you know what I mean.

Haven't heard about elektronische Wegfahrsicherung yet, but you're right, Duncan. Learning something new every day. ;)

According to a quick Google research the word Wegfahrsicherung is used in about 24% and Wegfahrsperre in about 76% of any combination with elektronisch.

Mick wrote:Only fair to include both definitions then. :)

Yes, but one little remark. Please replace Elektronik by Elektronische.

Elektronische Wegfahrsperre or Elektronische Wegfahrsicherung

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 12:41 #14 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Jürgen wrote:
Duncan wrote:I've actually come across both. I agree the blocking (sperre) is more appropriate though. There tends to be differences in terminology between companies, and even in the same company between Northern and Southern 'Branches' if you know what I mean.

Haven't heard about elektronische Wegfahrsicherung yet, but you're right, Duncan. Learning something new every day. ;)

According to a quick Google research the word Wegfahrsicherung is used in about 24% and Wegfahrsperre in about 76% of any combination with elektronisch.

Mick wrote:Only fair to include both definitions then. :)

Yes, but one little remark. Please replace Elektronik by Elektronische.

Elektronische Wegfahrsperre or Elektronische Wegfahrsicherung

Your word is my command. :)

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 13:02 #15 

takestock
I bet JDC looks good in a hi-Vis jacket hehehe :clap:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 14:57 #16 

JohnDotCom
Very Funny Dave.......... :clap: :censored:
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 15:45 #17 

takestock
would a hi-vis jacket enable a faster rate of eating food? :gmc:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 20:04 #18 

JohnDotCom
Ask Colin. ;)
John

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 21:55 #19 

MrB
ROFLMFAO - now why isn't that in the list???
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 22:21 #20