Absolutely Disgusting!!!! by Tourerfogey

Tourerfogey
No, not the fact that I am back ;) but this from AOL News today:

A female gang who shouted “kill the white slag” while attacking a woman in Leicester city centre have been spared jail after a judge heard that the Muslim girls were not used to drinking alcohol.

Rhea Page was set upon while walking to a taxi rank with her boyfriend in June last year. The attackers dragged the victim to the ground by her hair then beat her with kicks and punches.

Page’s boyfriend, 23-year-old Lewis Moore, was also attacked as he tried to fend off the four women.

Sisters Ambaro Maxamed, 24, Ayan Maxamed, 28, and Hibo Maxamed, 24, along with their cousin Ifrah Nur, 28, were convicted of causing actual bodily harm.

During the trial the court heard that Ambaro Maxamed called Page a "white bitch" then pulled the hair, forcing her to the floor.

The judge decided that the attack was not racially motivated.

The attackers faced up to five years in jail, but Judge Robert Brown delivered six-month suspended sentences after hearing mitigation that the women are not use to drinking alcohol due to their religion.

During the trial, the defense for Ambaro Maxamed said: “They’re Somalian Muslims and alcohol or drugs isn’t something they’re used to.”

The 22-year-old victim, who suffered stress and lost her job after to the attack, described the sentence as “disgusting”.

After the trial, Page said: “They were taking turns to kick me in the head and back over and over. I thought they were going to kill me. I honestly think they attacked me just because I was white. I can’t think of any other reason.”

Wonder what the sentence would have been if it had been whites attacking a black couple? Personally it seems to me that all the drink did was to remove any inhibitions these attackers had meaning that they were actually acting like and saying what they actually thought.

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 17:49 #1 

JohnDotCom
I could think of a reply on what I think but would get lynched.

Be good to hear our Paul's comments on what appears not only a lenient sentence, but by the comment "not used to ........" I could say that for so many things and use it as my line of defence. :gmc:

Good to see you back TF. :roll:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 17:53 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Dumbfounded!

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 17:58 #3 

takestock
Never heard such an unreasonable view from a judge, how can it not be racially motivated??

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 18:22 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
takestock wrote:Never heard such an unreasonable view from a judge, how can it not be racially motivated??

How can being pissed and or stoned be any kind of mitigation?

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 18:38 #5 

SpongeBob
I think it's absolutely disgusting - I mean, you disappear for a few months without trace and suddenly here you are again without explanation of where you went. I don't know... :confused: :gmc:

Oh and yes, I think the judges decision was far from appropriate. So maybe it was the first time they had consumed alcohol, and maybe they weren't used to its effects. In some laws, the fact you are under the influence of alcohol does not mitigate you from being responsible for your actions. It's a shame that this isn't a universally held view :(

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 18:39 #6 

raistlin
Always dangerous to comment on these things as the media are there to sell. Hence the old maxim:- "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story".

Many times cases have been reported that I dealt with and the report has been so devoid of fact as to be legitimately called fantasy. Comments taken out of context or mis-quoted is another favourite. We are all aware of the difference a comma can make in either the right or the wrong place :)

That having been said, and taking the account at face value, I think my view might well have been... different to that of the learned Judge.

A view of the trial / sentencing transcript would be interesting :)

Pleased to note, however, that Basil returns with something suitably... sensational :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 19:30 #7 

Tourerfogey
I aim to please :D

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 19:35 #8 

takestock
My missus says my aim could be better.......
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 21:25 #9 

geesmith
It's disgusting, he's fit as a fiddle.

Well, I'm no longer used to alcohol so who deserves a good hiding? (I better play down the atheist bit or I'll be on a hiding to nothing)(whatever that is)

...Woman beaten, and why had the Somali muslim girls, had alcohol? AOL's obviously not a muslim news organisation or I think that would have been the headline, cunningly placed commas and all.

Posted 08 Dec 2011, 02:09 #10 

PaulT
'Kill the white slag' and 'white bitch' are obviously not racist.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 08 Dec 2011, 09:18 #11 

Bermudan 75
I assume these Somalians are asylum seekers? If so send them back to Somalia, but no can't do that might breach their human rights...

Posted 08 Dec 2011, 09:32 #12 

takestock
I wonder what the Judges name was......
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 08 Dec 2011, 16:31 #13 

Bermudan 75
Blair?

Posted 08 Dec 2011, 17:28 #14