200 miles in one day... by RichardGarner

RichardGarner
Had a rather pleasant day today driving down into Norfolk today, the weather was brilliant but the less said about other motorists on the A17 the better! Have come across two things though...

First.
With new tyres, sparkly re-furbed wheels and tracking done the car was very comfortable, but does still tend to wonder off to the left on seemingly level roads. I appreciate that with a camber cars will want to follow the camber and "pull" to which ever side the road falls. But it's always pulled off to the left ever since I've owned her, now I've had the tracking and new tyres I'm not fighting the car and it is much better but still does it if I let go of the wheel.

Second.
On the return trip just getting near Sutton Bridge the road surface was a bit ronnied and given the volume of traffic evasive pot hole dodging was out of the question, so had no choice but to cringe and forge onwards. There was a very faint knock that I thought came from O/S front :panic: it's the first time I've notice it, but I need/want to have a closer look beofore it gets worse...

Other than that was a nice day out

Posted 23 Mar 2011, 22:07 #1 

Duncan
Certainly worth a look, as they could be related.

It's been a while since I was down Norfolk way, must make time to visit as it's one of my favourite places.

Posted 23 Mar 2011, 22:15 #2 

RichardGarner
just read on yon side about others who have experienced pull to the left. But as you say I think it could be more down to a bit too much kerbing (previous owner!!!!!) has knocked something out of kilter. I'll have a proper look in the morning.

Went to Wells and walked on up to Holkham, there was quite a few people there for saying it was midweek!

Posted 23 Mar 2011, 22:35 #3 

Duncan
RichardGarner wrote:Went to Wells and walked on up to Holkham, there was quite a few people there for saying it was midweek!

Gor that brings back memories. Walked on past Holkham (well stopped at the hall for Tea) to the next village, and found a pub.

Problem is I ended up with Wherry leg, and OH got Nog knee. We did make it back, just.

Posted 23 Mar 2011, 22:39 #4 

JohnDotCom
My car has pulled to the left from the day I got her new nearly 200,000 miles ago.
Everything has been checked several times over the years a d when in warranty new before going bust.
Tyres wear correctly, four wheel alignment spot on, you just auto adjust when driving and it becomes the norm.
Some have even moved their steering wheel a notch or two, altering pressures in Tyres one side but generally to no avail.

The XF by comparison you can let go and never wanders, most strange.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 23 Mar 2011, 22:42 #5 

RichardGarner
Duncan wrote:Gor that brings back memories. Walked on past Holkham (well stopped at the hall for Tea) to the next village, and found a pub.

Problem is I ended up with Wherry leg, and OH got Nog knee. We did make it back, just.

http://www.therealaleshop.co.uk/ came across this place the last time I was there! Found a pub last year near Sheringham but suffered a Broadside and the afternoon fogged over, still can't remember which village it was in!

JohnDotCom wrote:My car has pulled to the left from the day I got her new nearly 200,000 miles ago.
Everything has been checked several times over the years a d when in warranty new before going bust.
Tyres wear correctly, four wheel alignment spot on, you just auto adjust when driving and it becomes the norm.
Some have even moved their steering wheel a notch or two, altering pressures in Tyres one side but generally to no avail.

The XF by comparison you can let go and never wanders, most strange.

Agreed, this is very strange I assumed that new tyres and tracking would have cured it. At least I don't suffer from a numb arm now!

Posted 23 Mar 2011, 22:59 #6 

Jumper
I wonder if a left-handed drive car would show the same bias?

Posted 24 Mar 2011, 19:32 #7 

DeuxGazoles
Only 200 miles pah not even trying :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just for the record mine has a slight tendancy to pull to the left aswell but not bad enough to make it unpleasant to drive
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 26 Mar 2011, 11:05 #8 

RichardGarner
By the sounds of it this pulling to the left a bit is fairly common. In all honesty I only do around 2-300 miles a month anyway so it felt like a long way to me!!

Had a quick look this afternoon and I can't find whats causing this nock. It didn't help with the inspection lamp not working and a torch with a battery on the way out and the dog trying to lick my boot off. I'm going to have another look in a few days, I don't think it would be a ball joint, but given the state of the roads I'm not too sure

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:17 #9 

DeuxGazoles
Anti roll bar links :confused:
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:20 #10 

James.uk
RG don't pay too much attention to our Colin, he is the road runners (JDC) apprentice innit! Colin does huge mileages in a day just for fun.. makes me tired thinking about it.. :roll: :em:

200 miles IS a longg way innit.... :D

Posted 28 Mar 2011, 01:19 #11