177ps Vs. 190? by JakeWilson

• Related topics: (no related topics)

JakeWilson
Been offered a low mileage late V6 out of a Contemporary SE as a back up engine if needed - out of interest, what difference is there between the 177 and 190? Is it as little as a map, or like the 160 - is there a greater difference?

Thanks all in advance,

Jake

Posted 20 Jun 2011, 23:00 #1 

Zeb
Think if it is just the engine you are swapping it'll become a 190 when plugged in....I may be wrong though!

Posted 21 Jun 2011, 07:04 #2 

RRobson
i always thought the cam profile was slightly different, and the exhaust has a greater diameter, along with slight changes on the ecu
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 21 Jun 2011, 08:00 #3 

Bernard
Definitely different cams as they require different setting tools.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 21 Jun 2011, 09:02 #4 

SpongeBob
As above - different cam angles along with different ECU (Engine Control Unit) map and larger exhaust. Throttle body is possibly bigger? Also the air intake box has restrictions removed from the inside of it.

Posted 21 Jun 2011, 13:07 #5 

RRobson
if you are wanting to use the engine from the 75, you can simply change all the bits over, like swap the heads and exhaust. if your plugging it into a zt it shouldnt have any problem once converted. depends on the reason the engines are being swapped.
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 21 Jun 2011, 22:32 #6 

JakeWilson
Cheers all, it's just an avenue we're looking at just in case. So would it be a case of swapping the cams over, or is there a difference in the valves as well? We'd be removing the engine that's in the car already, swapping all the bits and re-fitting, so exhausts, airboxes etc would be all covered.

Posted 22 Jun 2011, 08:22 #7