16" or 17" - Which do you prefer? by moretvicar

moretvicar
Any one here got experience of different wheel sizes on saloons?
I really like the look of Serpents but they are 17". I am currently running on 16" and wondered what the difference might be?
Ta
Nick

Posted 09 Jul 2012, 12:04 #1 

Pedro
My car came with 16" as standard. I'm currently running 17" serpents in the summer and 15" comets with winter tyres in the winter, so I've tried all 3 sizes. Basically, the larger the wheel diameter, the firmer the ride, but the steering is more positive, but I've not really noticed a huge difference between 16" and 17" to tell the truth. I also think that 75s look better with the slightly larger wheel, but that's just my personal preference.
Peter

If all else fails......read the instructions.

Posted 09 Jul 2012, 12:36 #2 

Tourerfogey
Prefer 15" myself as then you don't have to pay stupid prices for decent tyres . . . ;)

Posted 09 Jul 2012, 13:51 #3 

JakeWilson
I had 17 inch starspokes on mine for about 20k, certainly the best compromise between handling and comfort.

Posted 09 Jul 2012, 14:06 #4 

Jürgen
Tourerfogey wrote:Prefer 15" myself as then you don't have to pay stupid prices for decent tyres . . . ;)

The price difference is astonishing indeed. I admit that this has been one reason putting me off. I was looking for 16" as compromise between look and comfort, but the tires are twice as expensive.

JakeWilson wrote:I had 17 inch starspokes on mine for about 20k,

£20k? :shock: Jake?!? :-? That is a stupid price to pay for wheels ... :whump:

:gmc:

Posted 09 Jul 2012, 14:46 #5 

Mintman
15"= the smoothest ride :bed:

Posted 10 Jul 2012, 14:56 #6 

JakeWilson
Jürgen wrote:
Tourerfogey wrote:Prefer 15" myself as then you don't have to pay stupid prices for decent tyres . . . ;)

The price difference is astonishing indeed. I admit that this has been one reason putting me off. I was looking for 16" as compromise between look and comfort, but the tires are twice as expensive.

JakeWilson wrote:I had 17 inch starspokes on mine for about 20k,

£20k? :shock: Jake?!? :-? That is a stupid price to pay for wheels ... :whump:

:gmc:

If I had that much money to spend on wheels I'd be on Vortexs! :-D

Posted 10 Jul 2012, 16:16 #7 

nick nick
I have only ever had 17" serpents and they are fine....However i would like a set of 18" strights
LIFE IS A BED OF ROSES....BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE PRICKS

Posted 11 Jul 2012, 18:36 #8 

Suffolk Man
just put the ztt back on 17"s after a few problems with the hairpins.quite pleased they fitted as i have only just fitted the 190 brake conversion.the look is awesome the discs look as big as the wheels

Posted 12 Jul 2012, 15:56 #9 

raistlin
VeeKay is quite smooth enough on 16" wheels, and being a 75, gives the sort of ride I'd expect. If I had a ZT though, perhaps the stiffer ride of the 17" wheels would be more appropriate :)

Main thing to watch out for Nick, is getting the right aspect ratio tyres so your rolling radius stays the same.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 12 Jul 2012, 15:58 #10 

Dave
JakeWilson wrote:I had 17 inch starspokes on mine for about 20k, certainly the best compromise between handling and comfort.

Are these the set I had off you?

I had 15" something or others on before, and honestly, can't feel any difference in ride or handling!

The Starspokes do look much better though!

Posted 13 Jul 2012, 18:43 #11 

JakeWilson
To be honest Dave I don't know, having had that many sets of the things!

Surprised to hear you didn't think there was a difference though.

Posted 13 Jul 2012, 18:47 #12 

Dave
:) I am just not very good with this sort of thing. After I had the Xpower remap thingey, it felt much the same! :(

(although, I'm sure if it was downgraded, I'd notice that!)

Posted 13 Jul 2012, 18:56 #13