Your time over again by kandyman (Page 2 of 2)

geesmith
Dodo wrote:What lovely thoughts to have, your wife and family are very lucky.

...especially his granddaughter.. :-D

(but I'm sure "gorgeous" and "beautiful" are precious hand-me-downs from "lovely".)

Posted 10 Mar 2012, 02:21 #21 

Tourerfogey
geesmith wrote:
Dodo wrote:What lovely thoughts to have, your wife and family are very lucky.

...especially his granddaughter.. :-D

(but I'm sure "gorgeous" and "beautiful" are precious hand-me-downs from "lovely".)

Sorry, that went straight over my head - care to explain?

Posted 10 Mar 2012, 13:10 #22 

geesmith
It was based on gorgeous being more than beautiful being more than lovely. So, theoretically, based on the interpretation of words as seen by geesmith, (oh no!)...your granddaughter got the highest accolade. Being a granddad I know how that works and would have probably chosen the same adjectives in the same order... however, mrs geesmith may have expected to still be the gorgeous one. Evenmorehowever, if she hadn't been the gorgeous one originally then she couldn't have passed on the gorgeous gene....

... as is the way with digging your way out, I'm simply getting deeper and deeper... doh. And the explanation wasn't powered by Brandy like the original post was..

No disrespect was ever intended I hasten to add. :)

That is my respectful, but possibly inadequate, explanation.

Posted 10 Mar 2012, 16:35 #23 

PaulT
Going back to the original question and taking the focus off of Glynn.....

Would I really want to be starting out today - high unemployment, problems with getting a mortgage for a house with a sky high price and the lack of decent music no thank you.

As I write this in exactly 4 weeks time I will have left work for the last time and enjoying my retirement do.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 15 Mar 2012, 19:34 #24 

JakeWilson
PaulT wrote:Going back to the original question and taking the focus off of Glynn.....

Would I really want to be starting out today - high unemployment, problems with getting a mortgage for a house with a sky high price and the lack of decent music no thank you.

As I write this in exactly 4 weeks time I will have left work for the last time and enjoying my retirement do.

All things I've been looking at. Continually been asking myself whether giving up my first Assistantship to do a degree was a good thing to do, especially as it looks like my first graduate job won't be paying much more at all and I'll have 40k to pay off.

Have to say the title of the thread was even something I asked myself, and if I could go back, I'd have continued the electronics studies I started instead of languages.

Posted 15 Mar 2012, 21:12 #25 

PaulT
JakeWilson wrote:
PaulT wrote:Going back to the original question and taking the focus off of Glynn.....

All things I've been looking at. Continually been asking myself whether giving up my first Assistantship to do a degree was a good thing to do, especially as it looks like my first graduate job won't be paying much more at all and I'll have 40k to pay off.

Have to say the title of the thread was even something I asked myself, and if I could go back, I'd have continued the electronics studies I started instead of languages.

If, if, if..........

We are where we are. If we had taken a different career path then we would have been in contact with different people, could well have ended up with a different partner and our lives could be totally different.

On a very sombre point then we could have been driving our car somewhere else and been involved in an accident and been killed.

Regrets do nothing for us - the grass is always greener on the other side until we get there.

This great push to get as many as possible to go to university - yes to those who have the ability and will use it but, sorry, there are a whole host of jobs that a degree is not required and a limited number where they are and it would seem a glut of people with degrees who cannot get work to use those degrees.

Right so to answer the original question, I started off doing an OND in electrical engineering. The first year was combined electrical and mechanical. The electrical theory for me was a doddle and I got extremely good marks. The mechanical theory was a great struggle but I felt I preffered the mechanical side so changed direction to mechanical.

In my youth I suppose RAF pilot did feature - was in the ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) - but not too much.

As a kid I was always criticised for taking everything to pieces but always put it back together. However, the criticism was not there when something went wrong and I was asked to fix it. So I suppose the mechanical side was natural.
Paul

Posted 16 Mar 2012, 07:54 #26 

Duncan
PaulT wrote:In my youth I suppose RAF pilot did feature - was in the ATC - but not too much.

So it's you in my ATC panel? Did you see what the website did there?

As a kid I was always criticised for taking everything to pieces but always put it back together. However, the criticism was not there when something went wrong and I was asked to fix it. So I suppose the mechanical side was natural.

I used to put it back together in case they found out. Later on though I was encouraged and that got me into Engineering. Electronics in my field is very tied in to mechanical things so I get both. However too many of the jobs get you away from Grass roots stuff, and I've changed path twice now to get back to doing what I enjoy.

Posted 16 Mar 2012, 08:41 #27 

Poppy
Also a post grad with a degree. My profession is in teaching. I teach English to foreign students.... Not easy I can tell you... :whump: But, unfortunately, now, I am unable to gain a post because of health problems....I have taught in Italy, USA, Even China..... It is the job that I love most in the world, yet I find myself and my skills left out in the cold. In all seriousness, I do know that some will not think a female capable..... But, If I had my chance again.....It would be Mechanics...eek...(Please do not laugh all at once.... :hissyfit: :whump:)
If you always do what you've always done... You will always get what You've always got.

Posted 16 Mar 2012, 23:52 #28 

PaulT
Poppy wrote:Also a post grad with a degree. My profession is in teaching. I teach English to foreign students.... Not easy I can tell you... :whump: But, unfortunately, now, I am unable to gain a post because of health problems....I have taught in Italy, USA, Even China..... It is the job that I love most in the world, yet I find myself and my skills left out in the cold. In all seriousness, I do know that some will not think a female capable..... But, If I had my chance again.....It would be Mechanics...eek...(Please do not laugh all at once.... :hissyfit: :whump:)

I was once told that in the 30s to the south of London if you wanted your BSA motorcycle tuned there was only one person to go to and that person was a female.

Where I work we had a female fitter chargehand whose job included installing pipework etc.

Think you might find that females are their worst enemy when it comes to becoming a mechanic.
Paul

Posted 17 Mar 2012, 06:37 #29 

Samarkand
Tourerfogey wrote:Quote: I could have gone to Oxford to read law.

Me too, but I chose to leave school and read Rover workshop manuals instead.

Was always my ambition to be a member of the idle rich - the first half came easy, it's the second bit that's causing the problem . . .

Now, where have I read this somewhere before TF ;)

To return to the topic, I would have loved to be an airliner pilot but due to opposition from the parents, I had to choose Mechanical Engineering (with a specialty in turbo-machinery). Currently Air Treatment design manager in the railway domain (with lots of big turbo fans for ventilating tunnels and subway stations :mrgreen: )
Majed
I miss you a lot Samarkand!

Posted 20 Mar 2012, 15:11 #30 

Bernard
A la recherche du temps perdu..............
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 20 Mar 2012, 16:50 #31 

Duncan
Not completely lost, Bernard.

Posted 20 Mar 2012, 19:34 #32 

geesmith
Is that a Rene Magritte painting Bernard?

My lost time wasn't stolen..I suspect I squandered some of it. You can't spend all of your life striving to be part of the machine ... can you?

I was just like Paul T as a kid, dismantling the clock brought only punishment whilst putting it back together brought "you're lucky you did" ... (I still thought it was clever)
I can understand the upset that getting the drive belt off the washing machine pulley caused, particularly as I used the ponch handle while the pulley was in motion.. I guess 6 year olds don't yet know about Luddites.

haha... I'll try to have that as my epitaph to throw people off the scent "I broke the washing machine with the ponch".

Posted 20 Mar 2012, 19:39 #33 

Bernard
geesmith wrote:Is that a Rene Magritte painting Bernard?

Dunno, I was paraphrasing Proust. (Monty Python, I seem to remember)
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 21 Mar 2012, 10:59 #34 

geesmith
oops... Le Jockey Perdu - Rene Magritte

A la recherche du temps perdu - painting exhibition by Haruo Shimada (from Proust)

and now for something different..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 21 Mar 2012, 19:27 #35