Why slag of another forum..... by Poppy (Page 2 of 2)


User avatar
Poppy
Hiya Mick. No one know's on here if I indeed have a sense of humour or not.... I have not had the chance to get that far I afraid... lol. Poppy
If you always do what you've always done... You will always get what You've always got.

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 22:27 #21 

User avatar
Zeb
Poppy....come here..chill....and stop mithering about one locked thread..or what it may mean as regards censorship....there isn't any to speak of here...sheesh, I can even talk complete bollocks (non-sexist variety) here....especially on the 'Mellow' thread...and nobody gives me a hard time about it...Life is too short not to after all..:D I think the point is that it is always best to make one's feelings known on the forum concerned....always in a manner that is within da rooolz natch..;) Just to add...I have yet to have any issues with the Community, its 'minders' or other members...which is summat I can't say about anywhere else!

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 23:46 #22 

Last edited by Zeb on 18 Jul 2011, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.


Jumper
Seems a good idea to me to 'close' a thread if you intend to make it a statement. Elsewere it might be called a 'sticky' or some other handle. All it means is that you are not inviting comments or replies and leaving it open to members to note. Or to ignore. Also, opposing views to that thread can be mounted by a new thread, or so it seems. Looking at the wider view, there's no censorship there. In the case of other sites, there may be an incredibly larger membership born of longer existence. Maybe that produces a much wider pool from which to draw members, possibly resulting in a fair degree of what might be called 'polarisation'. If I may, this site seems to be polite, measured, and informative without the entrenched position-taking. Long may it prosper.

Posted 18 Jul 2011, 14:11 #23 

User avatar
Arctic
(Trader)
Poppy1 wrote:Hiya. I have not had an easy time of late. Certainly not looking for sympathy or mollycoddling. I hear what you say, but if I censor myself to just using a forum for information, then I cannot get into any more conflict. Anyway, my knowledge of mechanics and cars will not be a great loss. lol.


Hi Poppy.
sorry to hear you have not had an easy time of late,i hope this gets better in the very near future for you,now please do not censor your self because you ask quite a few questions that some peeps would not ask this then helps others, ie the door lights recently and so on also your knowledge of cars and mechanics would be a loss as someone always as a different way they find out how to do things and this can then help others and dont forget you can always come to the meets and join in and learn a bit more if you wanted to you would be most welcome i have learnt loads in the last 6/7 months of being a member of this and the other forim site, i hope you can enjoy the forums as much as i do there are some very nice people to correspond with and meet from this site, Arctic

Posted 18 Jul 2011, 18:14 #24 

User avatar
baconbuttyman
Poppy1 wrote:Hiya Mick. No one know's on here if I indeed have a sense of humour or not.... I have not had the chance to get that far I afraid... lol. Poppy


wont be long poppy
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 18 Jul 2011, 18:21 #25 

User avatar
Tourerfogey
Going back to Poppy's original question - you have to slag off 'another' forum over here because you can't get away with it over there . . . :D

Posted 19 Jul 2011, 17:10 #26 

User avatar
Zeb
Tourerfogey wrote:Going back to Poppy's original question - you have to slag off 'another' forum over here because you can't get away with it over there . . . :D



Can you not?? I wish someone had told me this some time back.. :D

Posted 19 Jul 2011, 20:51 #27 

User avatar
Tourerfogey
Zeb wrote:
Tourerfogey wrote:Going back to Poppy's original question - you have to slag off 'another' forum over here because you can't get away with it over there . . . :D



Can you not?? I wish someone had told me this some time back.. :D



It's not so much that I'm running out of ideas Carl, more that I'm running out of IDs that haven't been permanently banned . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted 19 Jul 2011, 21:18 #28 

User avatar
takestock
Oooo, that sounds familiar........:gmc:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 20 Jul 2011, 08:14 #29 

User avatar
Chartermark
Unfortunately the present practice of democratic monocracy, or political correctness in it's common term, is seemingly interpreted as a mass right to have any grievance, or opinion to another's belief diluted or 'rinsed' by moderation.

Within this setting, the panjandrum of 'moderator' has been elevated by fable to a quasi legal office.

Censorship has expanded from the restraint of the offensive to the outright retraction of contrary opinion.

Inevitably the conclusion to consideration is a personal choice. Many of us migrated to this place, where censorship is rendered unnecessary by self restraint and the debate on difference is left elsewhere.

Posted 20 Jul 2011, 11:47 #30 

User avatar
stevemac
Chartermark wrote:
Inevitably the conclusion to consideration is a personal choice. Many of us migrated to this place, where censorship is rendered unnecessary by self restraint and the debate on difference is left elsewhere.


Unfortunately the criteria for self restraint is by definition down to oneself. The larger the pool of people, the wider the definition of restraint. This forum has less censorship because there are far fewer users. Believe me, give it time.
Steve
People call me average, but I think that's mean!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 20 Jul 2011, 13:12 #31 

User avatar
Mick
(Site Admin)
stevemac wrote:
Chartermark wrote:
Inevitably the conclusion to consideration is a personal choice. Many of us migrated to this place, where censorship is rendered unnecessary by self restraint and the debate on difference is left elsewhere.


Unfortunately the criteria for self restraint is by definition down to oneself. The larger the pool of people, the wider the definition of restraint. This forum has less censorship because there are far fewer users. Believe me, give it time.


You may find yourself pleasantly surprised Steve. It's the regular users that make a site what it is, perhaps this forums regular users will be drawn from a pool that enjoys it the way it is, others, especially attention seekers will be ignored, or stroked nicely until they fall asleep.
Essentially this forum is without moderators, from personal experience moderators will always try to be more than they are.

Posted 20 Jul 2011, 13:37 #32 

User avatar
stevemac
Mick wrote:
stevemac wrote:
Chartermark wrote:
Inevitably the conclusion to consideration is a personal choice. Many of us migrated to this place, where censorship is rendered unnecessary by self restraint and the debate on difference is left elsewhere.


Unfortunately the criteria for self restraint is by definition down to oneself. The larger the pool of people, the wider the definition of restraint. This forum has less censorship because there are far fewer users. Believe me, give it time.


You may find yourself pleasantly surprised Steve. It's the regular users that make a site what it is, perhaps this forums regular users will be drawn from a pool that enjoys it the way it is, others, especially attention seekers will be ignored, or stroked nicely until they fall asleep.


I hope your are right Mick. Only time will tell.
Steve
People call me average, but I think that's mean!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 20 Jul 2011, 13:41 #33 

User avatar
Chartermark
stevemac wrote:
Chartermark wrote:
Inevitably the conclusion to consideration is a personal choice. Many of us migrated to this place, where censorship is rendered unnecessary by self restraint and the debate on difference is left elsewhere.


Unfortunately the criteria for self restraint is by definition down to oneself. The larger the pool of people, the wider the definition of restraint. This forum has less censorship because there are far fewer users. Believe me, give it time.


Whilst an axiomatic answer Steve, by implying that mass extends values of all kinds, so far the type of comment that moved me away, has not procreated onto here. Horses for Courses maybe ...

Posted 20 Jul 2011, 13:43 #34 


Jumper
Political Correctness is in itself most offensive to virtually anyone with a brain. It all starts within a disproportionately influential group who have inflated ideas of their worth and values. They have ready access to media outlets for the dissemination of their dogma and are never held accountable because of their relative anonymity. Their idea is to make their pet dislikes a rallying call for latent censorship of anything they don't like. The gullible fall in file to the sirens calling from the sides. If the 'larger' pool continually ignores the ignorant and loud-mouthed, then moderation (literal meaning) will triumph without the need for intervention. The troublemakers thrive on the angry response, the moderate recognises that and starves its originators of oxygen. I think. If no one else minds.

Posted 20 Jul 2011, 14:25 #35 

User avatar
stevemac
Jumper wrote: If the 'larger' pool continually ignores the ignorant and loud-mouthed, then moderation (literal meaning) will triumph without the need for intervention. The troublemakers thrive on the angry response, the moderate recognises that and starves its originators of oxygen. I think. If no one else minds.


True, in an ideal world. BTW If you ever find an ideal world, let me know, I would like to move there!
Steve
People call me average, but I think that's mean!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 20 Jul 2011, 15:21 #36 

User avatar
Zeb
Those nominally in charge of a forum set the tone, the ethos and the attitudes and the members, well, they either like what it becomes or they don't...and once it reaches a 'tipping point' whereby those who like what a forum has become outnumber those who would rather have seen it go in a different direction...t'is time to stop trying to hold back the tide and let them get on with it...:D The reasons why a 'place' changes like this become irrelevant...numbers? Owner demographic? Warped perceptions of criticism? The so-called and much maligned idea of 'political correctness' - which has different meanings and different targets for different people...or even just an escalation in bigoted, prejudiced and unsavoury posts... Whatever,the fact is it reaches a point where 'you' / 'me' become the 'outsider'......;)

Posted 20 Jul 2011, 15:27 #37 

Last edited by Zeb on 20 Jul 2011, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.


Jumper
stevemac wrote:
Jumper wrote: If the 'larger' pool continually ignores the ignorant and loud-mouthed, then moderation (literal meaning) will triumph without the need for intervention. The troublemakers thrive on the angry response, the moderate recognises that and starves its originators of oxygen. I think. If no one else minds.


True, in an ideal world. BTW If you ever find an ideal world, let me know, I would like to move there!


Oh, that's easy! In my world I'm already there. I'm selective in what I choose to respond to. Not discriminitive you understand, merely selective!

Posted 20 Jul 2011, 15:48 #38 


Top

cron