What's the difference between . . . by Tourerfogey

Tourerfogey
. . . a bun and a teacake?

Posted 05 Jan 2012, 16:24 #1 

JohnDotCom
Fruit content and mix. :) :gmc:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 05 Jan 2012, 17:00 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Spelling?

Posted 05 Jan 2012, 17:15 #3 

Tourerfogey
I was thinking more in terms of 'stickiness' . . .

Am I not correct in saying that buns are sticky and teacakes are dry?

Posted 05 Jan 2012, 17:48 #4 

Duncan
Teacakes are marshmallow on top of a biscuit, covered in chocolate. Fruit buns are, well, buns.

Posted 05 Jan 2012, 18:49 #5 

Tourerfogey
Duncan wrote:Teacakes are marshmallow on top of a biscuit, covered in chocolate. Fruit buns are, well, buns.

You forgot the squirt of jam in the middle ;) OBVIOUSLY not THAT sort of Teacake !! ;)

Posted 05 Jan 2012, 19:25 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Seriously TF, there are dozens of recipes for both fruit buns and Teacakes.
For me a Bun is a doughy mixture, when cooked is light and airy, usually with an egg glaze. A Teacake is more dry and solid.
Anyway that's what my baker produces.

Posted 05 Jan 2012, 20:04 #7 

MN190
I don't know the difference between them

All I do know is I don't like either :gmc:

Posted 05 Jan 2012, 21:52 #8 

Duncan
OH reckons the difference is the shape, with a bun being rounder. I guess she means more domed, as both are round aren't they.

Yes, I annoy her too......

Posted 05 Jan 2012, 22:10 #9 

Tourerfogey
Well, my reason for asking is this:-

When our grocery delivery arrived from Sainsbury's today they were unable to supply my much loved Warburtons Teacakes, so instead they had substituted a packet of Sainsbury's Teacakes. Now, the Warburtons Teacakes are nice and dry just like I think they should be. Imagine my dissappointmet when I opened the packet of Sainsbury's Teacakes and found they were extremely sticky just like buns! As if I'm not suffering enough at the moment !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

Posted 05 Jan 2012, 22:26 #10 

JohnDotCom
Obviously bagged up the wrong thing, in the wrong bag TF. Send it back with a stern letter!
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 06 Jan 2012, 10:39 #11 

podge
Many years ago, where I worked we had a guy who used to deliver buns from his bakery.You will have to imagine the accent,as he was an Indian gentleman but at Easter times he used to deliver Hot Cross Buns................however,he would always look forward to that time of year and say....and this is true......

"GOOD,ITS EASTER..........HOTEX BUNS TO-DAY MY NUMBER ONE BESTSELLER!!".....just imagine that with the accent,we always fell about in stitches!!!!!!!

Posted 07 Jan 2012, 16:54 #12 

geesmith
This is why they have border control between Rotherham and Barnsley. In Barnsley a teacake (pronounced 'tee-a-cake') is actually a breadcake (no not a bap or a roll) and you can ask for "chips on a tee-a-cake luv" and get a chip butty.
If you ask for chips on a teacake in Rotherham you get a reputation as a fruitcake....

....there's only 10 miles difference but as a Rotherham bloke gets his coowut and shuts doower a Barnsley bloke will put his coit on and lee-uv his cave oppen.(or he might pile some coil in frunt onnit to kee-ep thee ahht.)

(the yoosta bi tunz o coil in Bahnsli afoor Maggi)

Posted 08 Jan 2012, 13:59 #13 

Duncan
Hot Cross Buns are in the shops already....

Posted 08 Jan 2012, 14:43 #14 

JohnDotCom
....were they ever out? :) :gmc:
John

Posted 08 Jan 2012, 16:35 #15 

Bermudan 75
Tea cake is a posh bun. :tea:

Posted 09 Jan 2012, 15:52 #16