Weird looking VIN number -is it valid? by slav

slav
Hi all,

I'm advicing my friend who wants an MG ZT to and today we were looking at a 2001 model, good condition and all, but what wonders me is the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) number looking weird, not as straight and even like on my car. The seller says it was first registered in Germany and has all documents for it.

Notice the bigger "F" in the image, which stands for type of engine mounted (F = 25K4F 190PS, 2500 Petrol).
Can you tell me if the early export ZT's could have had some parts of their VIN added later (after MG deciding which engine to fit in for example?).

Or is there any other reason for those letters looking the way they are? Could this still be original markings?

P.S. All other numbers under the windscreen and on the b post plate have the same letters, but all in the same size.
Is there any other place on the car with VIN that we could check?

Please share your oppinions as the ZT 190's are rare here, and other than the VIN, the car looks and drives great, so my mate is pretty decided already.

Posted 28 Feb 2012, 22:11 #1 

Duncan
The T looks odd to me too.

It's possible the VIN had to be corrected, but I would have expected it to be done better than that.

The VIN is stored in a few of the ECUS like the instrument pack and the Light switch. T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) can read these out, though I expect you will struggle to get hold of one.

Posted 29 Feb 2012, 07:59 #2 

slav
Ok, thank you for this info.

Posted 01 Mar 2012, 19:32 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
You said the VIN on the windscreen is the same number and letter sequence as the one pictured. It would be incredibly difficult to alter the glass etched number, it would be easier to replace the screen, which wouldn't have number etched into it at all. so I would not be worried if I were you. Take the screen number as being the one to accept as the cars VIN.

Posted 01 Mar 2012, 19:46 #4 

slav
I don't think the number visible through the windscreen is etched into the glass itself. I think it's printed on sth attached to the windscreen. I actually heard, the number is easly replaceable on purpose - in case you need to replce the windscreen, which is not uncommon.

Am I correct?

Posted 01 Mar 2012, 20:25 #5 

Duncan
As far as I know, its not even attached to the windscreen but to either the body or the dash depending on the car. I think on 75s its attached to the body.

Posted 01 Mar 2012, 20:28 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
My mistake, had always presumed it was etched.

I'll go and find somewhere to hide now. ;)

Posted 01 Mar 2012, 20:48 #7 

Mad-Monkey
The photo isn't working for me for some reason, but have you looked at the one under the bonnet on top of the suspension, left hand side as you face the car under the bonnet. It's punched into the body work.

edit. reading your post agains suggests the photo is of that VIN under the bonnet. If it is, I cant see the photo, thats my excuse, and im sticking to it :whump: :gmc:

Posted 02 Mar 2012, 07:53 #8 

Zeb
An OBD11 Reader will give you the VIN from the ECU (Engine Control Unit)...

Posted 02 Mar 2012, 11:36 #9