1st National Community Picnic at Clumber Park by Zeb

Zeb
Cars glinting in the sunshine, kids and dogs running about having a great time, cake, picnics, repairs, deals and banter happening all around and new members welcomed...as 75 ZT meets go, it felt like a cracker!

Looking back to when I first mooted the suggestion of a National Community picnic. I guess I hoped to arrange something for all the good folks who have taken the time and trouble to help get this community established. The thinking was, make it central, make it fun, make it something the members had ownership of and had a genuine say in how the day would pan out...no need for marshalls, regional secretaries, committees, nor management...just common sense, kindness, altruism and good humour....and, from my own (admittedly biased) viewpoint, I think those that came demonstrated all those things. Consequently, my biggest thank you goes to you all that turned up and had a good time. Many travelling a considerable distance, (I know not how far in most cases) some even doing a club meet as well as the Community meet, thanks to a clash of dates....

Jake and Roland, myself and family and Richard and Alan were the first to roll up...two CDTi ZT-Ts and my own saloon V8... having first met at Burton waters where we found Roland trying to polish out the water spots on Jake's car. Jake's new SatNav (thanks Martin!) did the honours of getting us to our destination – just as well as my own Mk3 '04 Satnav had no idea about the rearrangement of the road system outside Worksop! The day was looking promising, the field was big and we'd bagsied a nice, sheltered corner....the only thing we didn't know was how far away the facilities were at that point! The nice National Trust lady had just said it was a 'little walk'...methinks she must have been one of them Ramblers people with their kagoules, rucksacks and woolly hats who think Snake Pass is 'just a little walk' too.....we hadn't been there long before others began to arrive...Wedd being first on the scene.

To be honest, I had been very nervous about the whole event....would people come? Would things go wrong? Would it rain? Would the cars get stuck in the field? Would we all get banned forever from the National Trust for wheel spinning and power-sliding our way around the barbecue site in an impromptu re-enactment of a Colin Mcrae rally.... But, of course, the people who came reflected the nature of the forum...it was, indeed, a mellow day.

I kept trying to count the cars but as people came and went (often just to pop off to the 'facilities') and some hid their cars behind a very impressive and waterproof erection (kindly provided by Heather and Tim), it became a tad difficult to reach a final conclusion...my guess is that, over the course of the day, there were probably approximately thirty cars in attendance. Some real beauties too...Stubie's black LWB limousine, Duotone's duotone (a most welcome surprise visitor!), as always looked immaculate, Redrover's new pride and joy, a Firefrost V6 saloon all stood out to me....but there were of course many others too! One thing that pleasantly surprised me was the sheer number of Zts...the most I have seen in one place! Wedd's wheels should get a mention here....non-standard yet looking absolutely great on his ZT-T...

Still, I have to admit that, for me, actually the cars come second. It is the folks that drive them that I love to meet. So it was an absolute pleasure to meet so many friendly, fun individuals...of all ages.....and with a varying number of legs....my daughter and ChrisB's daughter both quickly adopting 'Buttons' and taking him on enforced marches around the site...my son, quickly adopting Mick and showing him how to use a frisbee properly...without injuring man, beast nor car... the kids also organised their own cricket match and kite flying and JonJon77 proved his staying power as fielder was greater than my own....me having the attention-span of a gnat 'n' all....but Joseph and Ben playing until the end....

As usual, BigRuss played about with his T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System), Jake's battery went flat, Martin wore his Panama hat and people tried to pull the new boy's (Richard's) car apart whilst giving him some made-up story about taking the door cards off was the ONLY way to fix his parking sensors....(well...they WERE working when you left!)

James.UK and I watched in fascination as Tim and Heather..and later Mick put the tent up...we were both in agreement that our 'help' might just complicate things further and unselfishly decided discretion was the better part of valour and left them to it.....until the rain showers came when Heather's predictions proved to be entirely accurate on the precipitation front..cake was freely eaten, Jake and Roland provided coffee and a cooler....we even remembered to bring some seats this time too!

The highlight of the day had to be the arrival of 'white van man'....Dave and his delightful lady Marina, in spite of Dave's obvious pain and discomfort...and then proceeded to stay and natter in a ramrod-straight like fashion for some considerable time. As always, it was a pleasure to see you and we were all very glad you made it in the end!

I am sure to have missed out much that happened, people and cars.... so I hope people will forgive me that.... but also add their own thoughts / comments and memories of the day on to this thread before it is saved for posterity by Mick.

Edit:- Further information available on the open forum here:- viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1812

So, thanks once again folks....any suggestions for the next big event?

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u107 ... %20Picnic/

http://s754.photobucket.com/home/johnwh ... =slideshow

Posted 15 Sep 2010, 17:58 #1