TV series you can't get hold of on DVD by Dave

Dave
Grrrrrrr

Why is it that some of the stuff that you remember from years ago is unobtainable, usually as it was never released onto VHS or DVD, but other things are released and also repeated on Sky ad nauseum (like The Vicar Of Dibley, or Only Fools and Horses?

Colin's Sandwich, from 1988, starring Mel Smith. Is it available? No

Beast, from 2000, starring Alexander Armstrong as an animal hating vet. Was this ever released? Nope

An Actor's Life For Me, from the early 90's, with John Gordon Sinclair. Ever on DVD? You guessed it!

Just occasionally things do turn up though!

I liked Hardware with Martin Freeman and Ken Morley (Reg from Coronation Street) OK, it wasn't amazing, but I liked it! I did get this on DVD, but oddly, it was never released in the UK so it was an Australian import!

Also, there was a Play For Today from 1980 called The Flipside of Dominic Hide, starring Peter Firth. Amazingly, I got this on DVD as it turns out it has a cult following!

Yesterday I remembered "All Quiet on the Preston Front", which starred among others, the lovely Caroline Catz. I found out that Amazon stocked series I and III, so they are on their way now! Let's hope it's not cack!

Any others that you lot remember fondly and can't get?!

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 17:28 #1 

raistlin
All of the above are available Dave. If you're after them, PM me and I'll dig out the details for you
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 20:46 #2 

Mad-Monkey
I remember watching a series called the last train when I was young. Watched it all except the last couple of episodes and missed what happened. Never released to buy, and missed the repeat on one of the obscure channels. Managed to get a recording in the end to watch the last few episodes but always wondered why they don't release everything to DVD.

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 22:23 #3 

raistlin
Monk wrote:I remember watching a series called the last train when I was young.

I watched that as well. If one suspended disbelief it was an enjoyable series :) Another one of the time that I enjoyed was "Invasion Earth"
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 22:35 #4 

Bermudan 75
I enjoyed 'The Dakotas' about 4 US Marshalls, even got the annual one year at Christmas.

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 22:43 #5 

Dave
raistlin wrote:All of the above are available Dave. If you're after them, PM me and I'll dig out the details for you

PM on it's way! :)

Posted 02 Jun 2012, 09:27 #6 

Dave
Just remembered another one - Best of the West. That's not available either! :evil:

Posted 02 Jun 2012, 09:27 #7 

stevemac
Man in a Suitcase. The theme music was hijacked by Chris Evans and used for his TGIF show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2q_9E-GHuc

and going back even further The FBI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crCZtW7u-NE
Steve
People call me average, but I think that's mean!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 03 Jun 2012, 13:17 #8 

Dave
I'd forgotten about these!

I also used to like The Persauders (although I know you can get this, as I bought the box set for my brother a while back) and Jason King...

Posted 03 Jun 2012, 13:31 #9 

pob06
Rentaghost - only series 1 on vhs afaik.

Not sure about online resources, might be possible on the bay??
Despite the high cost of living its still proving popular.

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 15:58 #10