Tourer tail lamp screw fixings by Duncan

Duncan
Not my car, but I've been asked for advice.

Has anyone had trouble with the inserts in the body (Nutserts / avdel rivnuts) spinning when you try to get the screw out? If so, how do you fix the problem?

A guy at work has been trying to help a friend of his with this.

Cheers

Posted 05 Mar 2012, 12:50 #1 

Bermudan 75
Is this of any use?
If the screws just turn, its likely that the treaded inserts have become loose from the body panel itself. They are a sort of 'crimped' fit. You need to get access from behind by removing some of the interior trim (if you have a boot mounted CD changer, the side panel is already designed to come off.) You can then hold the threaded insert from behind with pliers whilst undoing the crew from the outside.

The insert can be refixed with a blob of superglue and make sure the screw is lubricated before retightening (not too tight though!).

Posted 05 Mar 2012, 13:54 #2 

PaulT
Mine are fixed with plastic number plates screws so presumably cannot be overtightened.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 05 Mar 2012, 14:09 #3 

Duncan
Thanks Mike. I didn't know if you could get to the back of those by removing trim. They'd had a go but couldn't see them and I didn't remember.

I've suggested they look in on the forum, so maybe we'll have another member soon.

Posted 05 Mar 2012, 14:12 #4 

TrevorP
Thanks Duncan, Yeah you got another member!! I'll give it a go but not in a great rush as the light cluster bracket is already broken and just slots over the stuck screw ;-)

Posted 06 Mar 2012, 16:24 #5 

Duncan
Welcome to the site. We don't bite.

If you feel like it, we have a bit of a get together on Sunday near Cannock. There's a thread running and a link to a website. We help each other fix and improve the cars.

I see you have a connie SE tourer diesel. Is it a pre facelift or a later one?

Posted 06 Mar 2012, 19:02 #6 

TrevorP
It's a later model, loved my pre-facelift that I had 3 years so got as low mileage as I could onthe grounds I might not be able to get another and I do a few miles in it. Thanks for the Cannock offer, probably can't make it but will keep an eye on the site and contribute now and then.

Posted 07 Mar 2012, 23:16 #7 

Duncan
Yes, I bought a facelift tourer with low miles for the same reason after a colleague at work bought one.

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 07:47 #8