Threaded eye/ hook with insert help ! by Trebor

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Trebor
After some advice, I am looking for something that should exist but i dont know what they are called !

I need an eye ( or hook ) that has a thread on it and the insert to screw it into must be able to fit into wooded decking so that the insert will be permanent but i can take the eye/ hook out whenever i wish.

Its to hold down a tarpaulin patio table cover that comes off if windy and tying it to the furniture itself doesnt work either as the wind gets underneath and on one occasion lifted a chair up in the air and over the table !

So what i want is an eye/hook that will screw into the decking but can be removed when the table is in use, if i use self tapping hooks keep taking them out will only mean i need to make new holes eventually.

Something sort of like below with an insert screwed into wood first and the eye/hook screwed in afterwards

Hope all that makes sense !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-MASONRY-ANCHOR-HOOKS-M6-THREAD-12mm-DRILL-SIZE-/200423926559?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D3404130695910429940%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D200423926559%26
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 12 Nov 2012, 09:19 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)

Posted 12 Nov 2012, 10:32 #2 

ceedy
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 12 Nov 2012, 11:01 #3 

Trebor
Thanks both your links are perfect for the job Chris
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 12 Nov 2012, 18:20 #4 

kandyman
http://m.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-rawlbo ... of-5/95131

we use theses at work, after I drill the hole I Hoover out the dust and then half fill the hole with grip fill or mystic and then insert the fixing and leave for 15 mins before inserting the bolt and tighting up.

Posted 12 Nov 2012, 19:25 #5 

Duncan
Now that's irritating. Just typed a whole message and it's not appeared. So here we go again.

I'd be concerned with the screw in insterts that if the eye sticks in the thread the whole fastener will unscrew like they do in ZT bumpers for the foglight fixings.

How about something like these?
http://www.shop4fasteners.co.uk/acatalo ... s_Nuts.asp
A nut or threaded bush welded to a plate. Fit the plate under your decking, with the nut or bush sticking up through the board. Fix the plate to the bottom of the board with some screws, and it'd never budge. The eye would have all of that head to pull on too.

By the way, they might also suit those premium bumper builds you do, for fixing the fogs?

Posted 12 Nov 2012, 19:37 #6 

Trebor
Another good idea Duncan, will consider but only drawback is having to get under the decking to fit which is not impossible
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 12 Nov 2012, 23:13 #7 

Duncan
Yes, although you could probably lift a board as they are usually screwed, not nailed.

Posted 13 Nov 2012, 10:15 #8