T4 Problem by Jürgen

Jürgen
The T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) in a friend's workshop won't accept the appropriate cables to communicate with a car anymore. It displays a message that a wrong cable is used, even if it's the right one.

What did we change?
We upgraded from Windows 98 to XP by replacing the hard disk to install Windows XP from scratch, followed by the T4 system software (RDS 5.06R). All the software installation went smooth, using original CDs, and no errors have been reported. I kept the old HDD and an image file as a fallback.

What's the symptom?
The system starts up, it detects the diagnostic CD and you can choose all the menu items available. But when it's testing the cable, it will always report a wrong cable. I've checked all the settings available within the T4 software and even tested different ones, but to no avail. When I put in the old hard disk with the old system, it will work.

We haven't changed anything of the hardware beside the hard disk drive. The notebook, all the other parts of the T4 and the cables are the same. So what's going on? Can anybody tell me where to look please? :confused:

Posted 17 Aug 2013, 12:11 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
When the previous HDD with 98 is re-installed, all works as expected. I would suggest cloning the original drive and using that instead of the upgraded system. Unless a solution can be found.

From my not so good memory I recall Duncan has upgraded system software.

Posted 17 Aug 2013, 12:48 #2 

Jürgen
Yes, for now it's running the old system, but with some quirks from time to time.

Posted 17 Aug 2013, 12:55 #3 

Duncan
If the computer can't talk to the T4 box via the LAN cable, it tells you that you have the wrong cable plugged in, too. I'd have a look at your network settings and any firewall as a starting point.

Posted 17 Aug 2013, 13:55 #4 

Jürgen
Thanks, Duncan, that's a good point! I thought it would see the T4 box, as I got further than on my virtual test bed (XP on VMware). I'll have a go during next week.

Posted 17 Aug 2013, 14:39 #5