Refractometer by Trebor

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Trebor
Does anyone coming to Teddybears nano on 20 October have one we could use to test anti freeze mixture ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 09 Oct 2013, 18:26 #1 

raistlin
Rob, I know a Polish bloke who works in a bus garage in Nuneaton and their mechanics use these devices. I can see if he will let me borrow one but can't say for definite at the moment.

Why not use one of those "fiver off ebay" testers?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 09 Oct 2013, 19:18 #2 

Duncan
Paul, that sounds so dodgy. Did you meet him in a pub? (Don't answer that).

A Hydrometer is another option. I have one for batteries (somewhere) but not one for coolant.

Posted 09 Oct 2013, 19:48 #3 

Trebor
Both i am no expert but the request comes from a member on the OC who will be attending his first meet, he says that

"to check the OAT (Organic Acid Technology) coolant gravity-freezing temperature, you do need a refractometer, I used to have one when I worked in the diesel trade, they usually cost about £80.00, this is why I wondered if anyone in the club had one so that we could test the freeze value of our coolant, fresh OAT is usually -25 degrees, however with time this can change, it needs to measure the S.G. of Organic Antiacid coolant-OAT "
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 09 Oct 2013, 19:57 #4 

raistlin
OK Rob.

Sorted. I will have one for the nano. Wes will get one from the depot and have his wife, who works for me, hand it over by this weekend :)
Paul

Posted 09 Oct 2013, 19:59 #5 

raistlin
Duncan wrote:Paul, that sounds so dodgy. Did you meet him in a pub? (Don't answer that).

I suppose it does :lol:

He has a 75 and his wife works for me so we talk to each other quite often. In fact, he's a member of the Club forum.
Paul

Posted 09 Oct 2013, 20:01 #6 

Trebor
Magic thanks a lot Paul
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 09 Oct 2013, 20:48 #7 

T-Cut
A refractometer will require a conversion chart to get ethylene glycol content(or freezing point) from a refractive index. If it's a tool specifically designed for measuring coolant, it may already be calibrated. It's far more accurate than a typical coolant hydrometer. The hydrometer may show a -20 to -25C range. A refractometer could show if it's -20C or -21C.

TC

Posted 15 Oct 2013, 22:22 #8