Rear wiper motor by PaulT

PaulT
Got a friend who has been made redundant and of course the MOT is due this month.

2 questions:

Is the rear wiper part of the MOT or is it a case as it is fitted it has to work.

What is involved in changing the rear wiper

Thanks

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Mar 2011, 16:02 #1 

takestock
My understanding is if it is fitted, it has to work.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 07 Mar 2011, 17:58 #2 

Duncan
Looks easy enough. Remove the tailgate trim, then close the tailgate and open the glass. Remove 4 torx screws, Robert is your Mothers Brother.

This is from the manual, not done it myself.

Posted 07 Mar 2011, 19:05 #3 

PaulT
Thanks

Will admit I thought it should not be too difficult - the only problem is s/h ones are fairly rare, seems not many Tourers get broken.

Paul
Paul

Posted 07 Mar 2011, 21:06 #4 

Duncan
They do seem a bit thin right now, though the bay is more normally full of them.

This one looks a bit ropey:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-MG-ZT-RE ... 4ceda176f5

and a new one here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-Tourer-M ... 19b82798d5

However, got to be worth checking the wiring first. If the tailgate has been used a lot, it may simply be a fractured wire where it comes through the grommet.

Posted 07 Mar 2011, 21:53 #5 

JohnDotCom
Been waiting for brother to reply,
Rear wiper not working is not a MOT failure as it's not on list of testable items, in other words they don't check it so if it doesn't work fine.
He said they may put it down if noticed as an advisory purely to bring to attention of owner.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 07 Mar 2011, 22:40 #6 

PaulT
JohnDotCom wrote:Been waiting for brother to reply,
Rear wiper not working is not a MOT failure as it's not on list of testable items, in other words they don't check it so if it doesn't work fine.
He said they may put it down if noticed as an advisory purely to bring to attention of owner.

Thanks John - I will pass on the good news

Paul
Paul

Posted 08 Mar 2011, 07:28 #7 

Bermudan 75
Hi PaulT,

Are you are of the circumstances of the failure of the motor? I understand that a repair can be achieved by cleaning the spindle, and applying copperslip.

There was a post about this on the other side, which I may have saved to my documents, I will have a gander and get back to you.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 09 Mar 2011, 09:28 #8