Rear Wheel bearing removal problem by sewerman

sewerman
Hi went to change the rear wheel bearing today as the ABS (Antilock Braking System) light was on and swapping the sensor did no good.

All went OK until I pulled off the old bearing and it left a bit behind! see pics
IMG_20150501_145451620 (640x480).jpg
IMG_20150501_145444946 (640x480).jpg

I've tried gentley pulling this bit with large water pump pliers as i didnt want to damage it incase i needed to reasemble but it appears to be stuck fast - any ideas how to get it off?

thanks

Scott

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Royal Blue Rover 75 CDT Tourer

Posted 01 May 2015, 15:13 #1 

ceedy
The inner race always gets stuck on .

Either use heat to expand it and hope it helps ,

take all the brake stuff off and use one of these

or carefully grind a groove in the bearing race to ease it .

and use the above, or maybe a thin chisel.

had to do the grinder on my Front bearing last week :roll: ,

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 01 May 2015, 16:27 #2 

sewerman
Thanks Chris - dont have access to heat or one of those splitter things, so angle grinder it will be - was thinking if I put two slots in either side of the bearing would a bearing puller move it or do they get really stuck??

Posted 01 May 2015, 16:48 #3 

sewerman
Thanks Chris - dont have access to heat or one of those splitter things, so angle grinder it will be - was thinking if I put two slots in either side of the bearing would a bearing puller move it or do they get really stuck??

Oh race thats the word I couldnt think of LOL

Posted 01 May 2015, 16:49 #4 

Duncan
Interestingly you can clearly see the little plastic ring with the magnets on, that might be the cause of the problem, in your photo. Any sign of damage?

Posted 01 May 2015, 18:09 #5 

sewerman
Duncan it didn't look too good looked like a bit was missing, also when getting the sensor out ( 5hrs of pain!)lots of magnetised metal filings on the screw driver, (I checked it was a non magnetic one before I started) so I think maybe the race has been binding for a bit causing the magnets to disintegrate, or the stuck race is not turning the ring giving the error.

I will investigate further if I can get it off, or may be take it to the Nano next week and see if there is any one there who has done this before as I don't fancy attacking it with a grinder TBH.

Posted 01 May 2015, 18:40 #6 

Duncan
Well even with the pain, it looks likely that it will be fixed. It's not something I've done before, so can't offer any advice I'm afraid.

Posted 01 May 2015, 19:28 #7 

sewerman
Well hope so will look again tomorrow weather permitting

Posted 01 May 2015, 19:54 #8 

Trebor
Have posted on the nano site too Scott, cut a groove in the housing but make sure you don't go too far as you don't want to mark the axle, then hit with a chisel and large hammer and it should split and come off
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 02 May 2015, 19:12 #9