Real Wood Dash by paul d

paul d
With not being able to doo to much because of the head thing & having got a real wood dash from NICE DAVE i got to thinking "This could look so much better". Theres not a lot of difference between the real wood & the plastic in terms of looks is there.

Having spent most of my working life working with wood (Walnut being probably my personal favorite) i set about stripping the laquer of the 3 bits.

You have to do it by hand as Nitromores doesn't touch it....!!!! (it's a 2-pac thing & rock hard) Started with 40grit (Yes 40grit it's that hard) then various grades of sandpaper ending up with very fine wet & dry Took the best part of a week at 3ish hours a day. When all the laquer is off Meths to clean the grain - 4 coats of Teak oil & 5 coats of French polish to finish & there you have it A REAL WOOD DASH..!!!!

Put 2 bits in the car today & to me it's fantastic, when i'm doing the last bit tomorrow i'll take some pics & post them up.

The difference is remarkable . the Purists will moan but hey! wood is supposed to look like WOOD.

Regards

Paul

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 16:14 #1 

dattrike
Can't wait to see the pics Paul. ;)

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 16:51 #2 

kandyman
Here he goes teasing us again ;)

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 20:21 #3 

DaveyC
Looking forward to the pics Paul :-)

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 22:08 #4 

paul d
kandyman wrote:Here he goes teasing us again ;)

Not in this case they'll be up later.

The Puddle lights will be a proper How to.

Regards

Paul

Posted 13 Oct 2013, 06:08 #5 

paul d
Here we go as promised. The picture quality is'nt that good, can't seem to get them any better. It looks 100% better (if not more lol) in the "flesh so to speak, Got a shine but not a false one.

Only fitted the 2 passenger side bits up to now as it's persisting here but hopefully it shows the difference between the REAL WOOD finish & the plastic of the drivers side piece (the real wood when its got the laquer on looks pretty much like the plastic.

The pain was removing the "airbag" wording from the plastic dash & cutting out the shape to fit & glue it into in the walnut veneer. Scalpel, loads of concentration & a steady hand (didn't do my 6 weeks of constant headache any good i can tell you)

Like i said the "keep it original people" will hate it but it now looks like what it is REAL WOOD

Regards

Paul

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 13 Oct 2013, 13:22 #6 

paul d
Here are the other 2 i took. The one one the worksurface hopefully shows the contrast between plastic (the Airbag cover) & WOOD but as i say not that good pics.

Regards

Paul

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 13 Oct 2013, 13:26 #7