Rain & Sunroof Drainage Tubes by Arctic (Page 1 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Arctic
(Trader)
Well i have helped a few members and spoken to a few about the sunroof drainage tubes and how if not kept in check could lead to water ingress in the passenger footwell area and also the rear passenger footwell area in fact both front and rear footwells, and there was me saying i dont know if they had sorted the problem after 2003 because my Tourer 2004 as been in all weather last year and early this year and no wet carpet areas well you may well have guessed this morning what do i find water in both the front and rear passenger footwells quite wet to so now its carpet out and dryed fix the tubes.

What a nightmare i really do need it to stop raining now for a good few days one of those jobs i kept saying to myself i will check out just incase and never got round to it first sign thinking about it now was a smell of rubber if the sun had came out about a couple of days ago but never really took much notice as i had moved some wheels about the previous week so just thought the smell was lingering about when really is the reaction from the hot sun in the car giving the smell off the well carpet under rubber.

So if you have a sun roof do not be complacent like me check the drain tubes and even if a little suspect fix them asap.

Once i get started i will of cause be doing a photo session of the job entailed :em: and very :-x with myself i will now have a blast out on the Tourer as lots of little jobs mounting up because of this weather Running lights to fit new head lights to fit wheels to get refurbed front and rear bumber to make good after a few scratches from when i bought which again i never got around to doing wonder why we never work on our own cars :lol: will also be doing the rear vents at same time, signing off Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 29 Jun 2012, 15:10 #1 

Last edited by Arctic on 02 Jan 2014, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

Zeb
Sorry you are having dampness issues!

Some pics of the sunroof drain tube fix would be very useful....it really needs the 'two-piece' pipe system replacing with a 'one-piece' system to eliminate this problem...

Posted 29 Jun 2012, 15:16 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Zeb.
Yes agree once i get to grips with it i will take a good look and see whats out there to replace it or make it so it never needs doing again maybe only cleaning out with a curtain wire which is used to hold up lace netting in the old days or still now in our windows what ever floats your boat i suppose, just need the man above to start smiling a bit and show us his pearly whites so we get some gleanming sun shine :thumbsup: Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 29 Jun 2012, 16:14 #3 

kandyman
This is just what we need,

One of your fantastic photo how to's.

Good luck Steve.

Posted 29 Jun 2012, 17:37 #4 

Arctic
(Trader)
Well it arrived today the gazibo so now have shelter to get something done decided to take time off building the ark as the animals were getting in the way, :roll: is it ever going to stop while walking Bruno this morning i passed two frogs with their umbarella's up even they have had enough :lol:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 03 Jul 2012, 22:20 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Been cold, windy, miserable and wet here today. The weather has been lousy too. :D

Have fun. :)

Posted 03 Jul 2012, 22:32 #6 

carlpenn
Steve if you need help mate, let me know and I will pop round. I will be free at Weekend :)
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 05 Jul 2012, 23:21 #7 

JakeWilson
When Richard Garner here took delivery of his 190, both the front drains were completely detatched. We used a kent sealer that doesn't go off and some insulation tape to seal these up, that way there is some flex in the joint, but at the same time has no way of leaking.

Posted 05 Jul 2012, 23:32 #8 

Arctic
(Trader)
Well after days and days of rain we finaly got some dry sunny weather today 5/7/12 so i set about with vigour tackling the leak on my sunroof drainage tubes which if left unchecked will sooner or later leave you with water in your footwells front and rear, because i got caught out with all this rain and did not check mine in time i have ended up with a sodden carpet which i now have to remove to dry out i am hoping this post will save some of you that trouble and you can catch it before its to late, those of you whom have not got a leak yet do this fix asap so you will not have to go to all the trouble of taking your seats and console out along with radio and A/C controls etc.
Below is the short version presuming you have not yet got any leak or its not to bad and you dont have to remove all of the above mentioned.
First you will need to remove the glove box this is held in by seven torx screws four along the top of the box and three hidden under the felt cover in the glove box one each end and one centre, Fig 1-4

Peel felt back to expose the three torx screws one in the centre also.
Image1

Remove these first all three.
Image2

Now remove the four top ones as here below.
Image3

Once removed the glove box will slide forward easy.
Image4

Slide the Glove box forward careful because of the box light which needs to be unpluged Fig 5-7
Image5

The light showing its plug.
Image6

Unplug the wiring to the light as here
Image7

You can now remove the glove box and put it in a safe place this will now expose the fuse box and all the wiring etc behind the box. Fig 8
Image8

Above and to the left you will see the sunroof drainage tube this is just pushed in by about 15mm then it hits a stop in the outlet rubber tube (Ducks Bill) going through to the wheel arch poor idea and not a tight fit, some sort of PTF tape was used to try and hold it :confused: Fig 9
Image9

To make more room and easier access to this tube unbolt the fuse box 10mm socket and set it to one side out of the way as here below Fig 10-12
Image10

Image11

Rest the fuse holder on the glove box opening.
Image12

Now you can get a better look at the sunroof tube and the silly tape Rover used Fig 13-14
Image13

Image14
Here i have removed the tube to show the rubber tube outlet to the inner wheel arch through the bulk head note that dirty water and it smells. Fig 15-16
Image15

Image16

Quick view of how thick the foam on the back of the carpet is in this area and its soaking wet. Fig 17
Image17

Here is a close up of the dirty muck cloging the outlet tube this needs to be cleaned out before the fix Fig 18
Image18

here i am rodding the outlet tube with a 10mm pipe spring any larger and you risk pushing the tube through the bulk head and we dont want this Fig 19-20
Image19

The pipe spring can be passed through the front of the glove box compartment as here and lines up nicely with the outlet tube.
Image20

Right i had two idear's for the fix one to use a clear tube to extend the exsiting sunroof black tubing as here below, i have brought the tubing to the opening of the glove box to make it easy for you to see how the clear tubing would fit inside the black tubing Fig 21
Image21

This idea looked ok but gave me a little worry as the exsiting sunroof tube was on the outside of the clear tube even though a every tight fit it can still give rise to some leakage in my opinion, i may be wrong but was not going to take tha chance as water will always find the easy way out so i went to next idea which involves the hose connectors as here below in Fig 22
This time the sunroof tube is inside the hose connector and is also a very neat and tight fit pushed into the connector by 50mm making it a secure fitting which cannot slip out or be forced out by water back flowing.
Image22

I can now offer this up to the outlet rubber tube which is pushed inside and again a tight fit i needed to smear it with vaseline to push fit the ridged pipe which is 30mm long you can hear the slight pop when pushed fully home to the lip inside the outlet tube Fig 23
Image23

A close up of the secure fitting which in my opinion will stop and solve the leaks from now on and as the black sunroof tube is pushed inside the hose connector by 50mm the connector with its ridged fitting is pushed into the outlet tube by 30mm over all length is an 80mm not the 15mm push in Rover left with some sort of silly PTF tape to hold it in Fig 24
/25
Image24

Image25

The hose connector bought from Halfords Fig 26 Size needed is 5/8 =16mm
Image26

As stated at the start this is the quick way if you do not have a bad leak already or not one at all if your carpets are soaking wet like mine its seats out, console out, carpet out and dried clearall water in the floor area of the car make sure all wiring is ok and dry then you have to refit it all so try not to get caught out as i did i will start a new post following how i take the seats out etc cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 06 Jul 2012, 00:41 #9 

Last edited by Arctic on 10 Feb 2020, 12:38, edited 4 times in total.

MrDoodles
Luckily I don't have a car with a sunroof (at the moment) but what a fantastic mod for owners that do! :thumbsup:

Artic, you're a star! :hail:

Posted 06 Jul 2012, 09:17 #10 

Arctic
(Trader)
Saturday 7th July finaly a bit of sun came out giving me chance to get my seats and console out of the Tourer to tackle the water ingress under the carpet which is/was soaking, i mangaed this after fitting a handbrake compensator for a fellow member and a few other little mods plenum spyhole bonnet cable mod and couple of hose cable tied back from rubbing which after finishing we had a downpour for about 15mins.

Once the rain had stopped again i got the seats out console out then proceeded to remove the carpet jeez what a weight it was with the added water any member whom can feel a little damp on the surface of their carpets you can bet your hide that there is a least an 1" of water under the carpet as the foam as become so sodden with water it can no longer soak up anymore and is showing you its now flooded underneath photo's below.

Fig 1 carpet looks to be ok just wet to the touch yer really :roll:
Image1

peel the carpet back and you find this figs 1-4
Image2

Image3

Image4

So do not be tricked into thinking it's only a bit damp thats becuse as stated above the carpet is soaking to its limits, i manage to get the carpet out with a great struggle as it weighs loads and also pours out water as you bend and twist it out of the passenger door the amount of water you see in the floor space in the photo's below is only half as there is as much again still soaked in to the carpet foam.Figs 5-6
Image5

Image6
Front footwell where it all starts and then flows backwards into the space under the seat and finaly into the rear footwell because of the gaps under the floorpan strengthening bars which the seats bolt to fig 7
Image7

This photo shows the dry floor pan now all the water as been sucked out with a wet & dry hoover Fig 8
Image8

Image9

Under floor heating duct ready to be connected after being removed to clean up the water Fig 9
Image9

Fitted back on to the heater Fig 10-12
Image10

Image11

Image12

Here are the carpets removed and drying out afetr being jumped on while lying on the decking so most of the soaked in water could be squeezed out between the gaps in the b decking lucky for us we have this otherwise its squeezing by hand, mangaed to leave them in the last bit of sun for the day for about 30mins before it started to rain again and had to place them under cover i will do the same process over the next few days intil dry weather permiting of cause.Fig 13-14
Image13

You maybe think how is it the carpet is in two pieces thats because when i originaly made my car a guinea pig for the first fitting of the handbrake mod i caut my carpet at the rear to get to the plate covering the compensator so just cut the two little pieces that joing the carpet over the exhaust tunnel coverred up by the console and will beeasier to fit back cuts unseen.Fig 14
Image14

Seats safe in the gazibo with the carpets these can now have a good clean with vanish re-wash bar bringing them up like new Fig 15
Image15

Will add the update of drying out tomorrow mean while enjoy the couple of videos of sucking up the deluge of water from the sunroof drainage hose whic is so badly fitted but not anymore.

http://youtu.be/qAZW71691Tk

http://youtu.be/OFEMDlejjiU

http://youtu.be/ktfz_e4eCV8
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 07 Jul 2012, 23:15 #11 

Last edited by Arctic on 12 Feb 2013, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.

nick nick
Hmmmmm this looks like a must do......All i want is some dry weather to coincide with a day off work
LIFE IS A BED OF ROSES....BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE PRICKS

Posted 08 Jul 2012, 15:25 #12 

Arctic
(Trader)
nick nick wrote:Hmmmmm this looks like a must do......All i want is some dry weather to coincide with a day off work

Hi Nick
Mostly dry here today so manage to get the driver side sunroof drain tube modified photo's to follow also the carpet is 75% dry another day like today and i am on the home run :clap: Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 08 Jul 2012, 17:04 #13 

Arctic
(Trader)
Sunday the 8th July 2012 we finaly got a bit of sun that lasted more than 15mins :clap: and i was able to tackle the drivers side sunroof drainage tube to get to this you need to remove a few items to gain access so the hose connector can be added, photo's below.

First remover the panel under the steering wheel two posidrive screws and then it unclips Fig 1
Image1

Next remove the lower panel this time two screws and a couple of plastic flat head clips which also unscrew not pulled off Fig 2-3
Image2

These are only hand tight so easy to unscrew
Image3

You now need to unscrew the light switch three posi as shown in these Fig 4-6
Image4

Image5

This can then just dangle loose no need to unplug it this mainly for seeing the drain tube through and also rodding it before fitting the hose connector shown in later pics
Image6

You now need to remove the little panel which holds the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) wiring this also make for easy access to the drain tube three posidrive screws Fig 7-8
Image7

Image8

This little panel will drop down allowing you to unplug the wire lom from it two clips eiethr side Fig 9- 10
Image9

Image10

With this removed you can now see all the wiring behind this is the sunroof drain tube top right corner Fig 11-12
Image11

Image12

This photo show the drain tube pulled out you can just make out all the muck insdie the outlet tube to the inner drivers side wing and the PTF tape used to hold it in what a joke that is, Fig 13
Image13

I now have to rod the muck out i use a 10mm plumbers pipe spring which is perfect for the as you can see in these pics this is the reason for removing the light switch earlier as it line up with the outlet tube Fig 14-15
Image14

Twist and push this slowly untill it goes right through past the ducks bill flap behind the bulk head and into the wheel arch later on i will show how its best to cut of this ducks bill.
Image15

After cleaning out the muck from the outlet tube i cleaned out the sunroof tube using a net curtain wire with a domed screw in the end i got my wife to feed it through to me once through i pulled my way then she pulled back making sure it was clear of any debris. Fig 16-17
Image16

here you can see how it as come through to me also note the PTF tape used to hold in the tube originaly only by 15mm utter rubbish
Image17

This is the hose connector i use to join the sunroof drain pipe to the outlet tube hopefully you can make it out against the white rubber glove Fig 18
Image18

Remove the silly PTF tape and push the sunroof drain tube into the connector by 50mm or more if you like but 50mm is enough Fig 19
Image19

once pushed in offer this up to the outlet tube and insert it up to the stop on the connector you will need to smear it with vaseline so it helps fit with otu effort and stop you from pushing the outlet tube through the bulk head job done. Fig 20
Image20

Now replace all the items in reverse of moving i will tackle the rear one in a later post cheers Arctic. :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 08 Jul 2012, 21:41 #14 

Last edited by Arctic on 12 Feb 2013, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

Arctic
(Trader)
Monday 9/7/2012 luckily we had another dry day with some sunny periods so i was able to take care of the two rear sunroof drainage tubes, mind this is no five minute job as most the rear luggage area as to be removed along with the Cd chnager should you have one fitted this is on a Tourer a saloon is a little easier but again i can not reiterate enough if you have a sunroof and you check you carpets by lifting the edge and it is dry no damp patches or no damp to touch carpets do not wait to do this mod or you too could end up having to take out your interior and more.

below you will see how you have to remove the side panels from the tourer to get to the sunroof drain tubes over each rear wheel arch very time consuming here we go.

Start by removing the plastic cover on the tailgate lock pull up carefully it is held in by plastic clips the same as the door cards.Fig 1
Image1

Next remove the tourer cover and undo the two torx screws which retain the cover and lock it into place do this both sides Fig 2
Image2

Now remove the posidrive screw from the net hook either side of each rear side window panel and remove Fig 3-4
Image3

Image4

next remove the cubbyhole panel each side if you have them Fig 5
Image5

Now turn your attention to the floor hooks using a small screwdriver flip up the little plastic panel covering the two torx bolts it just up and out easy Fig 6-7
Image6

now exposed you can undo and remove these again both side Fig 7-8
Image7

Image8

You will also have to remove the rear deeper ones on each side of the panels Fig 9
Image9

Now lift the luggage floor panel to remove the two posidrive screw hold the side panel to the floor both sides Fig 10
Image10

now most of the screws and bolts have been removed pull the taligate rubber from the the panels that need to be removed for the next step Fig 11
Image11

Now you can remove the top side panel both sides Fig 12
Image12

Then you can remove the lower longer side panel Fig 13
Image13

There are a few more bolt fixing to remove before we can completely remove the solid moulded panel cover the sunroof drain tube etc. 10mm four in all Fig 14
Image14

Two at the top of the panel leaving Fig 15
Image15

The last one of the four 10mm bolts you need to remove the rear seat side squab it just pulls up to expose the bolt do not miss this or you will break the side panel Fig 16-17
Image16

This is it the black one
Image17

Now go back and remove the cover lock holder from which you earlier removed two torx bolts this pulls upwards Fig 18
Image18

With this removed you get your first glimpse of the sunroof drain tube Fig 19
Image19

We are not far from removing the solid moulded side panel now but first split the diesel or petrol puller wire apart or the panel will not release also you you could break this wire Fig 20-21
Image20

Image21

You can now tease the side panel down and remove it to one side safely Fig 22
Image22

Now if you have a CD changer you will need to undo and set this out of the way by removing four 8mm bolts Fig 23
Image23

With the Cd changer removed to one side it exposes the sunroof drainage tube finaly you can just make out that white PTF tape what is all that about ? Fig 24
Image24

This is the passengers side which i had removed ealier Fig 25
Image25

Now you can remove the tube ready for it to be joined with the hose connector after the outlet tube as been rodded Fig 26
Image26

Passenger side with connector in view before fitting Fig 27
Image27

Both outlet tubes should be rodded to make sure they are clear from muck etc i use a 8mm plumbers pipe bending spring as this is ideal Fig 28-29
Image28

Image29

Once you are happy the outlet tube is clear you will need to lubricate the end of the sunroof drain tube also inside the outlet tube with some vaseline Fig 30
Image30

Insert the sunroof tube into the hose connector by 50mm minimum then the connector into the outlet tube 30mm to the connectors stop point both sides Fig 31-32
Image31

Image32

Push both connectors fully home and the mod is finished why could Rover not have done this Fig 33-34
Image33

Image34

All that is left to do now is refit all panels etc in reverse of removing job is over no more leaks Fig 35
Image35

You may want to invest in one of these little sets from wilko's invaluable to me on this job Fig 36
Image36

So please be advised check you carpets by pulling back and lifting at each door front and rear also feel if carpet is damp if you have a sunroof and if dry do this mod without fail or you risk all the work of removing the interior as i had to do you want your car to go from looking lie this Fig 37-38
Image37

Image38

To this in a matter of six to seven months as the foam on these carpets soak up so much water you do not know untill they are soaked and can not take anymore thats when you relise to late and you have a pool of water in the the footwells Fig 39-40
Image39

Image40

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED PLEASE TAKE HEED. Arctic :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 09 Jul 2012, 23:34 #15 

Last edited by Arctic on 12 Feb 2013, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.

Bermudan 75
As usual Steve a very comprehensive guide.

Have you sealed the side vents on your Tourer (behind the cubby holes) ?

Mike

Posted 10 Jul 2012, 12:59 #16 

Arctic
(Trader)
Rover418275 wrote:As usual Steve a very comprehensive guide.
Mike

Have you sealed the side vents on your Tourer (behind the cubby holes) ?

Hi Mike.
Not yet but double checked them an are air tight and water tight so was in the thinking do not disturb but think you may well be right take no chance cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 10 Jul 2012, 22:40 #17 

Arctic
(Trader)
I have found a company which sells the connector in packs of 10 £4.99 plus postage am waiting on them to make sure they are any good and if so will post the link for any membes whom may like to buy some if they have a sunroof Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 11 Jul 2012, 10:33 #18 

kandyman
Top marks Steve,

Its post's like this that makes tackling job so much easer for the people who are worried about doing work themselves like me :panic:

Posted 12 Jul 2012, 06:23 #19 

Bernard
Steve, fantastic how-to. Do you fancy re-writing the Haynes manual? :gmc:
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 13 Jul 2012, 17:45 #20