Powerfold Worm Gears - Get them here at last by Trebor (Page 1 of 11)

Trebor
Well after a long and arduous task which has taken me to lots of different companies in lots of different places and over a period of years, I can finally announce success and that I am almost there thanks to excellent service received from a company in Turkey.

The Bullet powerfold mirror motors have 3 gears in them and the company have agreed to make a set of all 3 for around £3 per set which will probably be subject to import tax at 20% plus postage, but a lot cheaper than I could ever have hoped for.

Here is a motor showing the gears, the one shown is the one that wears the most but the other 2 are also visible and will be included in the set

They had a motor sent over by me, their engineers have already looked at what is needed and confirmed that they can make them, and they will be making the prototypes next week which will be fully tested before I place any order.( they already make gears for other car manufacturers )

The only drawback, if there is one, is that I need to order 1000 sets in order to make it worth their while making them. That may sound like a lot but as the sets are so cheap for say £10 -£15 you would have 3/4 sets and help to boost the numbers.

If all those interested with bullet powerfold mirrors all had 4 sets each we would only need 250 members to commit to purchase, and if you are looking to fit powerfolds but dont have them at the moment it would be wise to purchase some gears as spares to preserve the life of your mirrors.

It is fair to say that as the bullet powerfold mirrors become rarer, it will not be easy to replace like for like, and even when you can they will most probably be expensive, so this is a way to keep your mirrors going for a long time and at very little cost by replacing the gears which are the main cause of failure.

If you only want to order 1/2 sets thats fine too, please dont let it put you off ordering if you dont want 4 sets, but it would mean we need to get up to 500 members.

It is unlikely that we would have the demand for another 1000 sets after this initial run as most of us will have spares from this run, so get them whilst you can and consider ordering more than you might need at this low price, both to keep for future spares and to support the project.

I will be doing a comprehensive " How To " with pictures to help members change the gears themselves, which is not difficult if you know one end of a spanner from a screwdriver.

Please note that these gears are only suitable for the earlier bullet type mirrors, and not the later skullcap types as fitted on the later cars.

This is a bullet type

And this is a skullcap

It is sometimes difficult from pictures to tell the difference between the 2 types but the bullets extend further at the back of the mirror which is hopefully visible on the above pictures.

I am starting a list below, please say how many sets you want, I will update the list as we go on this first post and we will see how we progress, I will also be putting a thread on the 75 Club and 75 Enthusiasts Forums in order to boost the numbers.

Paul 20 sets
Carl Penn 16 sets
Rover418275 11 sets
Monk 15 sets
Kandyman 16 sets
MN190 13 sets
JohnDotCom 8 sets
Duncan 13 sets
Mintman 6 sets
Jürgen 10 sets
Les 13 sets
Dattrike 16 sets
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 15 Feb 2013, 19:35 #1 

Last edited by Trebor on 07 May 2013, 07:56, edited 33 times in total.

raistlin
Trebor 4 sets

Paul 10 sets

Pure bloody brilliant Rob :D Well done that man!

I'll keep some sets in my nano-meet tool-kit :)

This has got to be a good investment. Powerfold mirrors are becoming scarce and this will certainly be a one off opportunity to ensure that they last the life of the cars.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 15 Feb 2013, 19:39 #2 

carlpenn
Fantastic work Trebor :D

I will have four sets please. Do you need paying now or when you have your order ready?
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 15 Feb 2013, 20:22 #3 

Trebor
thanks Carl, no money yet until i know we can fulfill the order
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 15 Feb 2013, 20:59 #4 

Bermudan 75
Excellant job there, Rob, well done. I have the later powerfolds, is it definately the case that the gears will not fit the skullcaps?

Mike

Posted 15 Feb 2013, 22:06 #5 

Trebor
yes Mike the motors are different so not for yours
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 15 Feb 2013, 22:28 #6 

Bermudan 75
Put me down for a couple of sets anyway, every little bit helps.

Would it be worthwhile seeing if they could produce them for the skullcaps?

Mike

Posted 15 Feb 2013, 22:38 #7 

Mad-Monkey
Happy to chip in for another 10 sets for nano meets and visits to my drive :)

Fantastic effort Rob! Really well done! :)

Posted 15 Feb 2013, 23:51 #8 

kandyman
Great work Robert.,

I'll throw £50 in the pot and see how many that gets me.

Thanks

Posted 16 Feb 2013, 00:15 #9 

Trebor
Mike, I know that the skullcap motors are still being made and the manufacturer but they would want a large order and will not supply a few. As for the gears inside the motor they appear to be sealed units and I have never seen inside but maybe that could be looked at once this project is out of the way. If anyone has a knackered skullcap motor happy to take a look but so far as they are the later mirrors anyway not been as many problems with them if any

Thanks for the generous orders coming in, please keep em coming !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 16 Feb 2013, 05:23 #10 

carlpenn
kandyman wrote:Great work Robert.,

I'll throw £50 in the pot and see how many that gets me.

Thanks

Robert, How many does £50 get? In your first post, it says next to Kandymans name up to 14 Sets for £50?

If that is the case, I will put £50 in. As I thought they where £10-£15 each set so ordered 4 with a £40 - £60 cost in mind.

I will keep 2 sets for me and donate the others to the Nano Crew for meets :)
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 16 Feb 2013, 09:34 #11 

Trebor
Hi Carl

That is most generous, they are only £3 per set approx plus import tax at 20%, Andy said he would put £50 and I estimated that would buy approx. 14 sets so I will put you down for the same
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 16 Feb 2013, 09:40 #12 

Trebor
For those of you interested there is a big difference between the skullcap mirror motors and the bullett mirror motors.

The skullcap motor is a sealed unit and there are no visible screws just rivet heads and 2 channels to insert the electrical connectors. No doubt the unit could be split open to see what is going on inside but it would have to be sealed again and as this is a new motor I dont want to damage it. It appears that these are designed like most things these days and the whole motor would have to be sourced and replaced.

Here is the skullcap motor:

The bullett motor is below, and can be dismantled with a torx driver, making changing the gears a relatively easy fix

Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 16 Feb 2013, 10:12 #13 

Trebor
183 sets ordered so far across 3 forums, not bad in 24 hours, only another 817 to go !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 16 Feb 2013, 14:36 #14 

raistlin
It sounds like an awful lot still to account for Rob :( Best of luck :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 16 Feb 2013, 15:07 #15 

Trebor
I was hoping that i wouldnt have to bump this thread so soon and with so many more numbers needed , but here is the bump, orders in the 100s will be most welcome lol !

220 sets ordered so far across 3 forums
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 21 Feb 2013, 12:07 #16 

MN190
Can you put me down for 5 sets
Thanks

Posted 21 Feb 2013, 16:31 #17 

Trebor
MN190 wrote:Can you put me down for 5 sets
Thanks

Thanks, order added to list
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 21 Feb 2013, 17:30 #18 

JohnDotCom
You can add 8 sets for me to Rob. Not read all posts, when do you require monies and how much? PM me.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 23 Feb 2013, 17:25 #19 

Trebor
Thanks John, name added to list, no money yet a while until i get enough orders, hope you are keeping well
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 23 Feb 2013, 23:39 #20