Powerfold serious weirdness... by Hogweed (Page 1 of 3)

Hogweed
Hi folks – think some of you were there yesterday when I had my powerfolds fitted, thanks SO much for your help. Unfortunately I have a big problem – the switch pack in the driver’s door has stopped working. I’m told there are geniuses (genii?) on this forum…

It kind of worked yesterday, I think. My car hasn’t got the “cross-body” loom, so the LHS powerfold doesn’t fold. But I could adjust it using the toggle on the switch pack.

The RHS mirror folded, but didn’t adjust.

All the electric windows worked normally.

Tonight I dismantled the switch pack to clean the internal contacts etc to see if I could get the RHS mirror adjusters working, but now the switch pack only works for 30 seconds when I connect it! It’s not the pack itself, as my old one does the same now. Summary:

OK, have tried it several times now, and have two separate problems:

1. The mirror adjuster switches (what IS the correct name for them anyway?) don’t work at all, for either mirror.
2. When I connect the switch unit, the little light on the switch for whichever mirror was last selected comes on. I turn the ignition on. The electric windows work. If I turn the lights on, all the switches illuminate.
3. After about 30 seconds – with the ignition still turned on – the red light on the mirror selector switch goes out, and all the door switches die – no electric windows, nothing.
4. I have two switch units – my old one, and the powerfold compatible one. If I turn the ignition off, unplug whichever one is connected, then plug the other one in, its red light comes on, and it works – for another 30 seconds.

As far as I know, all Ben and Bernard did was remove the looms and doors, connect two orange wires between the mirror and switch, connect up the powerfolds, and put everything back together again! I really can't see how that can cause this…

Any help very gratefully received

Posted 24 Mar 2014, 23:23 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Bit late for the power fold Gurus tonight. They all have to work for a living. Should get some feedback by tomorrow evening I should think.

BTW welcome. :)

Posted 24 Mar 2014, 23:37 #2 

Bernard
I think that the power is removed from some of the accessories/functions after a time if the engine is not running when the ignition is on.
The powerfold function is not connected to anything else but the switch and the mirrors so it's highly unlikely that fitting them would interfere with the rest of the car.
Of course the mirrors and switch are unknown for their function until tried in position.

Sent via Tapatalk.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 24 Mar 2014, 23:54 #3 

Trebor
Does everything work as normal with the engine running ?

They should continue to work for 40 seconds after ignition off which is normal
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 06:09 #4 

theridler
Been thinking overnight... hate to say this but maybe its time to try your old mirror again ... maybe that will just confirm if it is the mirror itself (or something in it...) thats causing the problem???

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 07:59 #5 

theridler
Also on rereading this.. the door looms were changed? Maybe this has a bearing on whats happening???

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 08:39 #6 

Merl
Just replied to your pm but for future info it is probably this, or was in my case:

Short being cause by pent pin in power fold switch pack so might need to check wiring if pins looks OK unless fault inside switch pack... The short caused the fuse to blow for the heated mirrors which Nick @ Austins told me can play some strange tricks as after awhile my CCU stopped working too.... Quite sure it was the heated mirror fuse but there are 2 fuses for the mirrors and remember it seeming the least important one of the 2!

Hope that cures it for you and let us know how you get on!
Martin

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 09:31 #7 

raistlin
Have you checked fuse 11 in the passenger compartment fuse box?

The unique set of symptoms you suggest leads me to believe that fuse 11 is probably ruptured or else the power supply is missing owing to a wiring open circuit or short circuit, probably at the connector, C0066, which supplies the switchpack.

If the fuse is ruptured AND a replacement fuse also ruptures then it is a short circuit.

If the fuse is sound I'd suggest a voltage check at C0066 contact 2 for 12v.

Just my initial thoughts :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 10:47 #8 

Hogweed
Thanks guys - for some reason I didn't get notification that all these replies had been posted.

I'll get a look at the fusebox after work, and see what I can see. I guess if I replace a fuse, and it blows again, I can try my old switch pack again and see if that does it too. If it blows with both of them, I'll have to assume it's one of the mirrors itself, I guess...

Riddler - yeah, I'm sure substitution is the best way of finding things like this out. Unfortunately I have a completely knackered back at the moment, and no garage, so it's all a bit difficult.

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 12:53 #9 

theridler
Sorry to hear that... would have been keen to give you a hand but I'm rather far away! Posts above look useful... certainly easier to check than pulling door card off! Specially with bad back!
Regards John

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 13:22 #10 

raistlin
Hogweed wrote:If it blows with both of them, I'll have to assume it's one of the mirrors itself, I guess...

No, not neccesarily :) If it is a short rather than open circuit, I'd be even more convinced it will be in the wiring to the switchbox. In fact, if it was a short in the mirror(s) that would most likely have the effect of wiping out the logic and timing circuitry in the switchpack. I've seen that several times when people start messing with powerfold wiring without first disconnecting the battery or pulling the fuses :( The only solution then is a replacement switchpack but I don't think this is the problem in your case :)
Paul

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 13:43 #11 

Hogweed
raistlin wrote:I've seen that several times when people start messing with powerfold wiring without first disconnecting the battery or pulling the fuses :( The only solution then is a replacement switchpack

Hhmmm... I was in a great deal of pain from my back when Ben & Bernard did all this, but I don’t THINK you disconnected the battery, guys? I might not have noticed…

Funny, when the job was finished, the following worked/didn’t work:

1. The directional controls for the n/s mirror worked. It didn't fold because I have no cross-body loom, so that’s expected.
2. Don’t think I tested any of the windows.
3. The o/s mirror folded, but directional controls didn’t work.

I tried my old switch pack when I got home, but still none of the directional controls worked, as far as I can remember. Various people suggested that I should dismantle and clean the switch pack – so I did, both of them. Hopefully I didn’t do anything stupid – dried them out thoroughly etc before reassembly. And grounded myself a lot while working on them.

But that’s when the trouble really started… no directional controls at all now, and whichever switch pak I connected up, it only worked for 30 secs.

Anyway, ½ day today, so off to buy some fuses soon, and will report back.

raistlin wrote:but I don't think this is the problem in your case :)

Phew... hope you're right :(

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 13:59 #12 

Hogweed
OK… mixture of good and bad. Fuse 11 it was – thanks to all the clever people who knew that! So now I’m back to where I was after the heroic work done on Sunday:

1. Left mirror is “steerable” in all directions. It doesn't fold as no loom, so that can be done some day.
2. Right mirror folds, but no response at all to steering controls. Its selector switch does go red when pressed, but it doesn't respond to the multidirectional toggle thingy, which itself must work as it steers the left mirror.
3. Air con and radio now OK :D

So… I guess either it’s the wiring or the right mirror. The old (skullcap) right mirror used to steer, then stopped a while ago, and we used its loom with the addition of the orange wires, so I suppose it might be that… or perhaps the positioning motors in both it and the new one have failed?

I suppose the only way I’m going to find out is by acquiring a known working mirror from somewhere and trying it out…

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 16:40 #13 

raistlin
I've got a couple of cross body looms made up for Steve (Arctic).Was one of them for you?
Paul

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 17:09 #14 

Hogweed
Think so, yes :D

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 17:31 #15 

raistlin
OK :) I understand that Steve is collecting them this week.
Paul

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 18:35 #16 

takestock
it is possible the loom to the mirror is not connected to the mirror :o does the glass get warm when ign on? the powerfold set up is on a different plug ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 18:54 #17 

raistlin
takestock wrote:it is possible the loom to the mirror is not connected to the mirror :o does the glass get warm when ign on? the powerfold set up is on a different plug ;)

I sort of assumed in my diagnosis that the main plug was connected :lol:
Paul

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 19:36 #18 

Arctic
(Trader)
raistlin wrote:OK :) I understand that Steve is collecting them this week.

Hi Paul.
I will pop round Friday for them if that is ok as I have fencing to do tomorrow and Thursday as the winter weather as seen ours off. Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 20:24 #19 

Arctic
(Trader)
takestock wrote:it is possible the loom to the mirror is not connected to the mirror :o does the glass get warm when ign on? the powerfold set up is on a different plug ;)

Hi Dave
This could be the case as the weather started to get the better of our good helpers etc so may have been missed Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 25 Mar 2014, 20:25 #20