PAYG Mobile Broadband by Mad-Monkey

Mad-Monkey
If I already have a dongle device do I need a specific mobile broadband simcard or can I pop any PAYG simcard in that offers 3G?

I've had a look around and all the simcards come with a dongle, and I was hoping to just pick up a free simcard. It won't be used that much, odd email etc... so don't want a monthly plan or all the bells and whistles. Cheap is my game ;)

Posted 26 Sep 2011, 16:33 #1 

Duncan
It will depend if the device you have is network locked. Otherwise it shouldn't be a problem. My Laptop had a built in device subsidised by Vodoofone, but they couldn't even sort out how to connect it. So I threw away their Sim and put an Orange one in. Works fine.

Posted 26 Sep 2011, 18:04 #2 

takestock
We got a dongle for the nano meets, best deal was T mobile, £2 per day ( and you can purchase 1 day :D) almost all now wipe any existing credit at the end of the month.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 26 Sep 2011, 18:37 #3 

Mad-Monkey
I don't think its locked. It's a built in device on an IBM T61 Lenovo, I've ordered the hardware from the USA quite cheap and just need a bit of software and a simcard, so hopefully as there is nothing pre-programmed its not locked and the differing UK USA network frequencies are ok.

Dave does the £2 last more than a day? i.e. you get £2 credit and some sort of allowance on that day, and the £2 to use the rest of the month?

Posted 26 Sep 2011, 21:40 #4 

takestock
No good for heavy traffic as it is limited data download but for surfing the net Wife has found it quick and reliable.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-b ... =Affiliate
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 27 Sep 2011, 06:21 #5 

Mad-Monkey
Silly question Dave, but does the Simcard come out?

Posted 27 Sep 2011, 07:00 #6 

takestock
Yup, just clips in and out once you flick the cover off, found the speed of the thing fine as well for web browsing. 7.2 as opposed to the 3.6 ones.

Shame you didnt mention it at the nano you could have tried it :)

ilso receives text messages whilst in the dongle and connected to the web.

I,m no techie when it comes to these David, just got fed up with £10 a go at travel lodge or bt open zone. It's £2 for 24 consecutive hours, so once yer on, yer on :D
Looked into them a little. You can get an unexpiring credit one for vodaphone but the sims fetch £50 !! As said all others wipe your credit at the end of the 30 days, £2 per day seemed a bit of a bargain to me, there may be cheaper or better ones for heavy use but Wifey is far happier at the Nanos now :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 27 Sep 2011, 12:33 #7 

Mad-Monkey
That'll do for me then! Cheers Dave! Just need my antenna to turn up now! :)

Posted 27 Sep 2011, 13:22 #8