P1472 01 & 02 by Treffenberg (Page 1 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Treffenberg
Hello!

I just got a memo scanner and plugged it in to my Rover 75 to see if there were any electrical faults with the car.

I got the only one message: "P1472 01 & 02"

The code is not mentioned in the manual that went with the scanner.

Does anybody out there know what the code stands for and how i can fix it?!

Thank you in advance!

Carl

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 16:14 #1 

kandyman
P1472 - VIS (Variable Intake System) power valve always open

Wait for Mr Stocktake to pop along he's the VIS man.

I do have the list somewhere but I'm on my iPhone so it's a bit hard to search for it.

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 16:31 #2 

kandyman
Sorry I forgot to welcome you to the community.

If you do a search on the forums for VIS it'll show you all you need to know about what a vis is and does.

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 16:32 #3 

Treffenberg
Hello!

Thank you very much for your fast reply! I will check the forum and also wait for Mr. Stocktake.

Regards,

Carl

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 16:34 #4 

takestock
Whis is this stocktake chappy then? :) ( From an admin as well )

hi Carl, assuming you have a KV6 those are indeed the codes that tell you your Vis motors are not working. There is a club VIS tester her I built to test these motors in situ, Raistlin keeps it. it's free to use. If they have failed they can sometimes be repaired. I can help you with that if you are electro mechanically minded. You could always buy new from rimmers part no MKE 100102 and part no MKE 100110 but sit down before you check put the prices. other option is i can rebuild yours for you at better prices than rimmers and to a better spec. :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 18:08 #5 

kandyman
takestock wrote:Whis is this stocktake chappy then? :) ( From an admin as well )

Sorry I'm in the mellow room and had a few to many drinks watching the football.

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 18:20 #6 

Treffenberg
Hello Dave,

Is there any easy way for me to hear if the motors are not working; rattle etc. ?

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 19:26 #7 

Duncan
Trouble is, they only operate when you are driving along. So you would have to have someone lie under the bonnet while driving.

You can get a good idea if they are working though. Accelearate, say in second or third gear at a fairly wide open throttle. At around 3000 RPM there should be a noticeable surge in performance. Some describe it as a kick in the back. This tells you the balance VIS is working. The power is harder to tell.

The best way is to borrow the tester, though I guess you may not be in the UK.

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 19:54 #8 

Treffenberg
Duncan; thank you for your answer. I am in Sweden so it might not work wih the borrowed tester.
A guy in the community; Kiwirover, wrote something about "Cleaning the KV6 manifold in situ".
Could that be a first thing to do.
Regards, Carl

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 20:04 #9 

takestock
cleaning won't help if they have failed i'm afraid.

I've built a tester for somebody in Sweden think it is roverowner :) ( gent called Alan don't suppose you have heard of him? He is in linkoping)

Failing that are you farmiliar with the term, pinning wires? and if I told you which wires to pin would you know what I was talking about

Had a thought:
Going back to basics here you should actually remove the codes and drive for a couple of days, they could be old codes :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 20:09 #10 

Treffenberg
Dave; i am not certain about the pinning wires, is it an electrical tester? I have actually erased the cods but they returned after a short ride.

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 20:17 #11 

baconbuttyman
takestock wrote:Whis is this stocktake chappy then? :) ( From an admin as well )

hi Carl, assuming you have a KV6 those are indeed the codes that tell you your Vis motors are not working. There is a club VIS tester her I built to test these motors in situ, Raistlin keeps it. it's free to use. If they have failed they can sometimes be repaired. I can help you with that if you are electro mechanically minded. You could always buy new from rimmers part no MKE 100102 and part no MKE 100110 but sit down before you check put the prices. other option is i can rebuild yours for you at better prices than rimmers and to a better spec. :)

This may sound like a daft question Dave, can i assume vis motors are only on v6 engines
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 20:18 #12 

takestock
baconbuttyman wrote:
This may sound like a daft question Dave, can i assume vis motors are only on v6 engines

yup your safe Mick :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 20:19 #13 

takestock
Treffenberg wrote:Dave; i am not certain about the pinning wires, is it an electrical tester? I have actually erased the cods but they returned after a short ride.

Pinning the wire is in effect pushing a pin through the insulation of a wire it is an easy way to check for power to a cable or in this case join two wires together to complete a circuit.

You will have a PM shortly ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 20:22 #14 

Treffenberg
Dave; thank you for the pm. I will do the test tomorrow.
Kind regards,

Carl

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 20:59 #15 

Treffenberg
Hello Dave, I have now done the test and there is a soft "clonkin" sound but i am not sure if it is coming from the VIS motor or more towards the bulkhead.

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 17:38 #16 

Duncan
Sometimes you still get a quiet click from the relay. When they are working you can hear almost a buzzing noise for half a second as well as the clicks.

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 18:18 #17 

Treffenberg
OK. i noticed that you mentioned that there was a possibility to repair them. Is it very difficult?

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 18:43 #18 

kandyman
Treffenberg wrote:OK. i noticed that you mentioned that there was a possibility to repair them. Is it very difficult?

Have a read here,

xpdfdocuments/engineandtechnical/VIS_Actuator_Repair.pdf

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 19:24 #19 

takestock
Thanks Mankandy, that saves me so much work :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 19:59 #20