Oooooerrr - Me engine's got a mind of it's own . . . by Tourerfogey

Tourerfogey
This happened recently and again today. On start-up (not from cold) the engine raced erratically all by itself and 'blipping' the accelerator made no difference - it seemed worth a try under the circumstances. So, I stuck it in gear and drove anyway. Up through the gears to the end of the road by which time the engine would then idle nicely again. The car then behaved perfectly as normal. As I say, this also happened and disappeared in much the same way a couple of weeks ago.

Can't find anything obviously wrong (the ecu isn't swimming in a plenum full of water for example) so where do I start?

Oh, and yes it is one of those normally trouble free K series :D

Posted 20 Feb 2012, 22:22 #1 

SpongeBob
When that happened to me once I discovered the throttle body butterfly was slightly ajar (because some tissue was stuck in it when I cleaned it out moments prior :em:) Having removed the debris and the butterfly was unobstructed normal operation was resumed. It might not be the same scenario for yourself but I think the engine tried to compensate somehow but couldn't therefore producing an erratic, high idle. Maybe the cable is sticking - could be as simples as that?

Posted 21 Feb 2012, 10:05 #2 

RhodieBill
Try slacking off your accelerator cable a tad, should have an up and down play of about 8mm where it joins the throttle lever body. Also make sure it is nicely lubed.

Ciao.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 21 Feb 2012, 11:04 #3