Oil leaking from turbo MG ZT CDTI by XANADU

XANADU
Hi I wonder if anyone can help, I have MG ZT CDTI 2003 its low mileage and although was not the best maintained one when I got it about 14 months ago I have brought it upto scratch. I recently put a new powerflex Lower Engine Tie bush on and while doing so have noticed that there is oil leaking from the Turbo on the exhaust side so I cleaned up and had another look a week or so later and can see that it is fresh oil which is coming from the seal on the exhaust side of the turbo there are no other leaks, it is not leaking on the compression side, the oil drips down onto the drive sharft. I have done a bit of research on the web and it could be the oil return pipe is blocked. Anyone got any ideas before I have to set about removing the turbo etc.

Posted 02 Mar 2012, 18:58 #1 

Zeb
Might be worth checking / cleaning your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) filter or EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) valve...low mileage it may be but if it had lots of stop / start journeys these things can get clogged...and might in turn have a connection to your problem... since these options are 'free', in that you can do them yourself, it is a nice cheap way to potenially eiminate your problem...Got to admit, I have not heard of a blocked oil return pipe...but then I haven't had a CDTi for a few years now..

Posted 02 Mar 2012, 19:36 #2 

Duncan
To be honest, if the return was blocked you'd have no flow at all and the oil would soon overheat I would guess.

Even if the oil return were blocked I'd expect the leak to be internal through the bearing seals, so the oil would end up in the intake and be burned, or the exhaust and be burned.

Could the oil be coming from somewhere else? For example a dirveshaft seal and be sprayed upwards. Alternatively, I don't know what the feed / return pipework is like for the oil. Could the leak be from this?

I have to agree, no matter what, the PCV is a quick and free place to start as these are known to cause oil problems with the turbo if the crankcase ends up pressurised.

Posted 02 Mar 2012, 20:18 #3 

XANADU
Thanks for your replies, have only last year replaced the PCV for the new BMW one without a filter and there is no other usual signs related with the PCV being blocked, as for the EGR that was also done and replaced with the straight through pipe mod. Will have to try and get a closer look but did study it quite well and am sure its comong from the seal on the turbo.

As Zeb has mentioned its probably done a lot of start and stops in its previous life having only completed 46,000 now and thats with having used it everyday since Ive had it and it may have just worn it out in excess of normal. Any other opinions would be appreciated before I go down the route of getting another turbo.

Posted 02 Mar 2012, 21:35 #4 

Zeb
Very very unusual for the turbos to go on these even with starship mileages.....if you are anywhere near me I am happy to take a proper look at it for you? I am near Skeggy...(I know, NOBODY is ever anywhere near me...well...very few :) )

Posted 02 Mar 2012, 21:51 #5 

XANADU
Thanks for the offer but am down in Essex, will try to get some photos at the weekend and post them...

Posted 02 Mar 2012, 22:55 #6 

Duncan
Can you see the oil feed pipe on the top? If the banjo bolt is leaking, it might well run down and appear to be coming from the joint you mention.

Posted 03 Mar 2012, 17:42 #7 

XANADU
Will have another look and let you know...

Posted 04 Mar 2012, 00:38 #8 

XANADU
Have had another look and uploaded some pics, have replaced the Oil Drain Gasket last weekend but has made no differance have checked all around and cannot see any where it would be leaking from apart from the Turbo Seal. Any ideas anyone...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 10 Mar 2012, 19:14 #9 

hodgy
It looks like it’s coming out of the actuator, but that doesn’t carry any oil. I would say its coming from above somewhere, unless it’s been blown up there.
The pipe with the two 10mm bolts in, might be the oil feed, but surly that would run down not up.
I’m sure someone will be along shortly to clarify
Best Regards

Alan

Posted 14 Mar 2012, 11:49 #10 

Duncan
No the pipe with the two bolts is the return. The feed pipe is on the top, with a banjo bolt. However OP says it's not coming from there.

Personally I can't see how oil would be coming from the joint without being in either the induction air, or the exhaust first. From where it is it would be induction air (as it's that side of the bearing) but I would expect the engine to be blowing smoke, and leaking air from the joint too.

Posted 14 Mar 2012, 12:49 #11 

James.uk
As someone said, replacing the PCV may well solve the problem, as, if it is restricted, it will be putting a lot of strain on your tubo.

The turbo on my car was replaced (before i bought it) for just that reason.. Blocked PCV = turbo failure apparently.. :(

Posted 16 Mar 2012, 01:16 #12 

Zeb
Any update on this?

Posted 06 May 2012, 19:20 #13