Odd text message, or is it Spam? by Duncan

Duncan
Had an odd text on my phone last night. I'm always a bit wary about responding to people I don't know as it might be a scam. Has anyone heard of this as a scam or even just a way of confirming a number is active.

The text is asking me for advice about a car, but the sender says they got my number from someone I've never heard of. Could be a typo, and could also be a wrong number. Even if it were predictive text messing up the name, I can't figure out what it could be.

Apologies if it's someone on here trying to get in touch, but I don't recognise the names involved and while not paranoid, don't want to fall into anything unwanted.

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 12:33 #1 

Zeb
If it is legit I am sure they will try again..... :?

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 12:39 #2 

PaulT
Could it be that you call back it the call gets transferred to a premium rate number?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 12:43 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I'm with Zeb on this, ignore it, if they really want to contact you they will try again but don't reply if they make the same errors again.

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 14:18 #4 

James.uk
Such a shame that we all have to be so distrustfull innit... :(

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 14:45 #5 

MrB
James.uk wrote:Such a shame that we all have to be so distrustfull innit... :(

Agreed James.

But am afraid the best advice these days is ignore it and if they really want to speak with you they will call or try again.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 18:04 #6 

Duncan
Yes, I agree with pretty well all the comments. It could also be you send a text in reply, and start getting chargeable texts that you can't stop.

No-one has called or texted so obviously not something important.

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 18:17 #7 

raistlin
Have you thought of reporting it to your provider Duncan?

Also might be worth copying part of the text into google.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 19:11 #8 

Zeb
Always worth putting any phone numbers into google.....you can sometimes get some surprising results...:)

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 20:55 #9 

DeuxGazoles
Duncan wrote:
No-one has called or texted so obviously not something important.

Or it could be that you've huffed them :roll: "lousy Duncan mumble never answers his phone mumble mumble wont reply to my text mumble mumble" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :gmc:

No I agree just ignore it if they're desperate to get you they will try again...............I used to get odd random texts on my phone back in the day but more than 3 years down the line I dont miss having one at all
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 21:16 #10